EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Ultima 127 problem

Old 05-24-2009, 08:27 PM
choptop
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultima 127 problem

Heading back from a couple hundred mile ride, 60 miles per hour, oil temp at 200, started to miss a bit, rode 3 miles to nearest town, pulled into station and could hear the sound, not a knock, almost like something rubbing, almost sounded like it was cooming from the right side, plenty of oil, plugs look good. pushrods? Will start it up tomorrow and try to find where it is comming from. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:55 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

When you check the pushrods make sure that the holes at both ends are open and look for "witness marks" on the sides to see if they are rubbing somewhere. Don't forget to check the screen as it can decrease the amount of oil going to the top end.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:43 AM
TheGoat
Tourer

Possible lifter. If bad you probably will not hear anything until motor is up to temp. Pull the pushrod covers off and watch the travel. If the lifter has failed you will see it drop off. Check the cam lobes as for wear.

Last edited by TheGoat; 05-25-2009 at 07:46 AM.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:30 AM
choptop
Cruiser
Default 127

thanks guys, so the pushrod or lifter replacement does not involve getting into the engine persay, can be done from the right side ? Not that I feel comfortable in doing it, but should keep costs down if I need to take it somewhere. Engine only has about 3,000 miles on it.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:31 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You might want to check the lifter/pushrod adlustment to ensure that ins't you problem. Then go to the aforementioned suggestions.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:18 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,666 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Rubbing sound and a miss... sorta sounds like it "could" be a bad roller on a lifter. If they seize it'll make a scraping noise. If it's in the nose cone area, you would want to investigate before running it much at all. If that is the case, it'll wear out a cam pretty quick.

Admitidly, I have no Ultima experience, but assuming it's along the HD lines of design and it has fully adjustable pushrods, swapping a lifter(s) is no problem at all.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:17 AM
TheGoat
Tourer

With only 3000 miles, I am going to assume the motor is less than a year old. Call Midwest Motors and they will send you the replacement parts. Make sure to ask for the upgraded pushrods if you don't already have them. Midwest Motors took care of me when my lifters failed. No questions asked. Great company to deal with.

Last edited by TheGoat; 05-26-2009 at 06:20 AM.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:28 PM
choptop
Cruiser
Default 127 problems

Originally Posted by TheGoat
With only 3000 miles, I am going to assume the motor is less than a year old. Call Midwest Motors and they will send you the replacement parts. Make sure to ask for the upgraded pushrods if you don't already have them. Midwest Motors took care of me when my lifters failed. No questions asked. Great company to deal with.
The engine is out of warranty and between 1 1/2 - 2 years, only got 1,700 miles on it last year due to bike build issues.
Just got back from a shop, sounds like the noise, metal - metal ,is in the engine, something came loose somewhere, engine starts right up, seems to have good compression and does not smoke, but has the terrible noise. The will take a few thing off tomorrow to see if they can notice anything and put a stethascope to it, I am not allowing them to tear into it till I have a better idea of what I am looking at. Not a good time to spend a bunch of money on a engine w/3,500 miles on it. Maybe Ultima will help me out depending on what we find. Any advice would be appreciated. Choptop

Old 05-28-2009, 05:15 PM
choptop
Cruiser
Default 127 problems

Got to see the damage today. Rear exhaust lifter failed, clean break in the pin, he feels that it happened a while back and may possibly been feeding needle bearings into the return side of the oil pump for a while, cam is damaged ,oil pump is damaged, (2) push rods are bent. It is out of warranty but I only have 3,500 miles on it, this should not happen, will contact Ultima tomorrow to see if they will do anything. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:44 PM
choptop
Cruiser

Just got off the phone w/Matt at Ultima, warranty dept. I am told. Let him know what had happened, age of engine, miles on it and that I understood it was out of warranty but this should not happen and that I had heard on forums that they were fair and asked him what he could do. He said they will cover parts, I said thank you very much. Gave him the shops number and I imagine he will call and ask them to send the damaged parts in. Hope it all works out, labor will be enough as it is.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ultima 127 problem