Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Springer on a Dyna Wide Glide

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 01:01 PM
HDFanatic
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Springer on a Dyna Wide Glide

I own a 2001 Wide Glide and really like the look of the springer front end. I have been looking around but can't seem to find anyone who has put the springer on a Dyna frame. I am not sure why Harley hasn't done it. Is there some reason they don't. Is this just not a popular swap. Is it an impossible swap?

And......if anyone has done it, could you post some pics of your bike.

Thanks

Old 05-27-2009, 01:13 PM
icecaps
Reading More Posting Less
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 05-27-2009, 01:42 PM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PM man4mopar he did it.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:59 PM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here ya go.

and 1 more

Old 05-27-2009, 06:28 PM
man4mopar
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by HDFanatic
I own a 2001 Wide Glide and really like the look of the springer front end. I have been looking around but can't seem to find anyone who has put the springer on a Dyna frame. I am not sure why Harley hasn't done it. Is there some reason they don't. Is this just not a popular swap. Is it an impossible swap?

And......if anyone has done it, could you post some pics of your bike.

Thanks
I replied to your PM too.

As mentioned Kpreese did it

Gorilla's srpinger which I just noticed we used the same tank badge, I am sure he got it well before I did.

Revolution did it too.

There are others too but I can not find or remember there user names. And I agree dynas look great sprung, as the above pics show. If you do go ahead with it be sure to post up.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:11 PM
timberwolfz28
Road Master

Revolution's is a leafer, not a springer. Just pickin' nits

No real mad science to putting on a springer. Pick out one you like. DNA are cheap, but they're cheap.

Most aftermarket springers will run you 600-2500 depending on who makes it, length, etc. There are reverse springers too.

Brakes are a consideration... they attach more like the rear brakes... anchoring to the axle and then back to the fork leg.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:00 PM
HDFanatic
Advanced

Thanks for the responses. I figured someone has done it. Got lots of good information for doing the swap. Thanks for the PM man4mopar, really good info there. I have heard from more than one source that the DNA springers were cheap made, but havent found anyone who has bought one and complained about it. Can't find anything bad about them other than they are cheaper in price. Anyone know any specifics on why they are so cheap? 2500.00 is a bit out of my price range and I do look for deals. Especially in these economic times. I just don't want to buy junk and regret it later. Sometimes you do get what you pay for, but not always.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:03 PM
timberwolfz28
Road Master

DNA seem to work ok. I have heard they are a bit noisy, and the wishbone is kind of cheap in appearance (probably to reduce production cost) but I haven't heard of them failing.

You will get a decent looking springer from them, just not quite as nice as some of the others you'd get by shopping around and spending some more $.

Want to save a little money? Handy with tools? You can build your own springer fairly cheaply with some basic shop tools. the Chopper Builder's Handbook has some very detailed plans for free download.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:59 PM
man4mopar
Road Master

Originally Posted by HDFanatic
Thanks for the responses. I figured someone has done it. Got lots of good information for doing the swap. Thanks for the PM man4mopar, really good info there. I have heard from more than one source that the DNA springers were cheap made, but havent found anyone who has bought one and complained about it. Can't find anything bad about them other than they are cheaper in price. Anyone know any specifics on why they are so cheap? 2500.00 is a bit out of my price range and I do look for deals. Especially in these economic times. I just don't want to buy junk and regret it later. Sometimes you do get what you pay for, but not always.
I have no experience with DNA springers. I know at least one fellow on here did a DNA springer on his dyna and said it rode well. I haven't seen one yet that uses a shock but they may. Other thing to look into with them is what are they using for rocker bearings if any. The Dragon springer has internal shocks and has roller bearings in the rockers. I believe HD springers and Paugcho springers use brass bushings which work well too.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:16 PM
man4mopar
Road Master

Here are some more.

TheJackal though hasn't posted in awhile. Here is his springer post
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-pictures.html
And below is a picture.

PaulRienguette is the user name and here is his post https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-bob-this.html Looks like he hasn't posted in a long time either. It is a DNA 2" under, and photo below.

I think this is cjhumphrey springer bob. Posted as a +2" over stock DNA springer. Post I found info from https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...front-end.html Looks like he may still be around to ask questions.

I knew there was more and some that mounted DNA springers. I added there screen names so you can try sending a PM to them and or searching for more of there posts with info to hep your research out.
Is cool to see each persons version of springing the dyna.