Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

wiring blinkers and horn

Old 05-31-2009, 09:01 AM
98glider
Road Warrior
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Default wiring blinkers and horn

I was looking at my manual for the electrical and was wondering if i can put the blinkers and horn on the same fuse. the bike now only has 2 she is a bobber i want to add the blinkers and horn, the blinkers are going to be led Also can I take it off the ign. switch for power thanks

Old 05-31-2009, 12:01 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The power to the horn and turn signals both come from the accessory circuit breaker, so yes in a word you can.
Just be sure to connect the signal wires and the turn signal switches between the circuit breaker and the horn switch. Otherwise, you will have to blow the horn to use the signals. But that may not be a bad idea either, come to think of it. It will get their attention better.......... pg

Old 05-31-2009, 05:16 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

Only two circuit breakers? One should be 30 amps, and it should be between the +ve battery post and the ignition switch. I know of at least one and possibly two bikes that have caught fire basically because this breaker was missing.

The other should be 15 amps, and couls run lights etc as already pointed out.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:05 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

One circuit breaker is required, not two.
The power for all the turn signals, flasher, and horn originate at the circuit breaker.
The single power wire goes straight into the flasher. Coming out of the flasher, there is another wire going to the switch for the right hand turn signal.
Off this wire, there is a splice, downstream of the flasher, that goes to the switch of the left hand flasher.
That is what is involved...... 1 flasher, 1 circuit breaker, and 2 turn signal switches. Look at a wiring diagram and that will explain it far better than I can do it......... pg

Old 06-02-2009, 10:46 PM
98glider
Road Warrior

I only have 2 breakers now one for ign and one for the head lite and brake As for the amp I will have to dig into as these are those metal ones with 2 terminals on them.i was going to tap of the the ign switch and add another circuit breaker and take it from there. What size breaker do you think i shoul use to run led blinkers and the horn thanks guys this bobber has been all done over as far as I can see. I ran all new wiers in the bars for the blinkers and horn

Old 06-03-2009, 07:22 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

The "new" ironheads have 4 circuit breakers. A red wire runs directly from the batt+ to a 30 amp breaker. The other 3 are each 15 amps and are indirectly run off the 30. An additional wire runs direct from the bat +ve to the solenoid.

Three wires exit the 30: one goes to the B terminal on the key switch; one runs from the regulator; the third goes to the start relay.

The LIGHTS breaker is powered from the L key switch terminal, and powers all the lights.

The IGN and ACC breakers are joined together on the input side by a copper strip so they essentially act as one. I guess this is to make it easier to run the wires but i really do not know why they do this. These two are powered by the wire from the IG terminal of the key switch.

Only one wire runs from the IGN breaker - to the run/stop switch. Two orange wires run from ACC. These are always 12 volts with the key on and run whatever needs the 12.

The 30 amp breaker ensures that a short circuit at the key switch [which is easy to accomplish] does not cause the bike to catch fire while you are riding down the road.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:06 PM
98glider
Road Warrior

So do you think that I can just tap off the input of the 30 amp and add one 15 amp more for the horn and blinkers now my bike has been all redone as for the wiring that is now a bobber Thanks

Old 06-04-2009, 06:52 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by 98glider
So do you think that I can just tap off the input of the 30 amp and add one 15 amp more for the horn and blinkers now my bike has been all redone as for the wiring that is now a bobber Thanks
Yes.

Note that these circuit breakers are directional - there is an input side and an output side. The factory manual describes the input side as "copper terms". So i think the other side is silver [colored].

I think you can just run a wire from the output side of the 30 to the input side of the new 15, then run the accessories from the output side of the 15.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:07 PM
98glider
Road Warrior

I have just wires comming from the bat or from the ign switch to the fuses etc. there is no copper links between the fuses