Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CB radio-can hear but not transmit

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 05:55 PM
tarheelrdr
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CB radio-can hear but not transmit

I have an 04 ultra and have not used the CB in about 4 months, It has always worked very well. I have the hand-held mic and tried a friends mic and still cannot transmit. It breaks squelch, but nothing can be heard. I also checked the speaker switches for proper placement, but I don't think that would have anything to do with it anyway. Any Ideas???

Thanks to all who respond.

Tim

Old 06-01-2009, 08:09 AM
tarheelrdr
Tourer

bump- anybody

Old 06-01-2009, 08:18 AM
66cruiser
Road Warrior

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Could be any of a dozen things but first I'd check all connections especially the mic plug & antenna plug. Then try another mic. After that it's probably in the radio but I'd bet on a bad connection somewhere.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:22 AM
IBHarley
Road Master

It could be anything but heres what happened to mine I picked up a mic from an earlier model and it would do just that it would not transmitt but you could hear the keying of the mic on my friends bike I then got the newer mic 7 pin from HD and it worked so it could be the mic you tried and your old one may be defective

Old 06-01-2009, 03:55 PM
tarheelrdr
Tourer

Originally Posted by IBHarley
It could be anything but heres what happened to mine I picked up a mic from an earlier model and it would do just that it would not transmitt but you could hear the keying of the mic on my friends bike I then got the newer mic 7 pin from HD and it worked so it could be the mic you tried and your old one may be defective
Thanks, I'll look for connections, I already tried a friends mic that I know works.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:10 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

HD's Electrical Diagnostic Manual for your bike has an extensive section on diagnosing CB issues, including failure to transmit. It's basically a sequence of tests designed to identify the problem. See if your local HD service department will allow you to take a look at their copy; mine is good about that.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:48 AM
iunlocku
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've added a CB to my Street Glide. The problem I'm Having is with the Hand held Mic the system works the way it should. When I plug in helmet headset and push the PTT button on the handlebar control no audio is heard on nearby CBs (My hand Held and fellow riders). When the PTT is push it breaks squelch on the receiving radio but no audio. With the hand held Mic both my voice and tapping on the Mic with a finger nail is heard. I even purchased a new HD Headset and have the same results. I contacted J & M Corp because one set is a non HO Mic from their Proforamce line, thinking I would need a HO Mic. I was informed that the headset should work but for optimal performance to use the HO Mic.

I'm looking into the Electrical Diagnostic Manual but in the mean time any thoughts?
Thanks
Mike

Old 06-02-2009, 02:28 PM
davep
Cruiser

Had the same trouble with my 06 ultra..prolbem was the passenger switch (PTT) was pushed half way in. Push it in and make sure it is out all the way, then try to talk. hope this works for you.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:40 AM
iunlocku
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have the Electrical Diagnostic Manual on order from the dealer. My bike does not have passenger speakers or controls.
Used the hand held Mic again last night and work with out a problem. I think I'll wait till the manual gets in and hopefully it will help me solve the problem.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:48 AM
tarheelrdr
Tourer

Thanks to all, I've tried all the suggestions from here and a few others. Still not working, guess I'll have to go to the stealer. I have my vaseline and cig's ready!!!

Thanks again,

Tim