Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Need help retrieving codes on 03 rk

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 07:28 PM
shuggy
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help retrieving codes on 03 rk

Hello all,i'm trying to get the codes off my 03 roadking,i have a clymer manual and it says ,with handlebar switch in run position turn ignition/light switch to on ,when fuel pump stops whining wait 1 second and turn ig. Switch off for 3 seconds.repeat this step 1 time and wait 8 seconds and codes will start flashing,well i've tried this for 2 days now and i still am not getting the codes,what the heck am i doing wrong here,why can't i get the codes,my check engine light came on 2 days ago for about 4-5 seconds while driving on highway,then went off, i stopped and got my coffee for work and when i started the bike again to leave the engine light came on again for about 4-5 seconds and went off,i was told that this is an old code,but why is it comming on again,it makes me nervous,any info on this would help,i search this fourm and found 2 other ways to get the codes but none of them worked either,one was by pushing in the trip odm. Button and turn ign. To on and the othr was with the signal buttons but that did not work either,someone please help,,,thanks a ton,,,doug OH YEH I TRIED DISCONNECTING THE BATTERY AND IT DID NOT CLEAR IT EITHER

Old 06-04-2009, 08:49 AM
robzuc97
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Code access

"HUH?" on the Clymer method you've outlined... that won't work at all! The "ON-OFF, ON-OFF- then ON then depress left turn signal button twice method" [no wait involved] is for accessing the HFSSM-equipped security system; you have the push-button FOB. Unless you have an after-market speedometer installed, I verified this on my friend's 2003 ULTRA and my 2001 XL just now as for the following working: [You say you've done this HOWEVER] on a 2003, with RUN/STOP in RUN position and holding in the odometer reset button on the speedometer, turn the ignition switch on until the odometer display shows "d01, d02...to d011" [if no codes] and the last number will display ECM calibration [i.e.: 71354]. You can flip through the codes by pressing the reset button and write down any codes found (will read like d35, d53, etc.) the numbers designate a "current code" in no particular order or prescedence. You have a "history code" causing momentary light flash [stored in the ECM] as a "current code" will keep security light ON constantly. The code will automatically clear if problem does not reoccur in 55 starts [or 55 turns of the key on] or dealer can clear using scanylizer. Unhooking the battery will not clear a code nor will unhooking the ECM.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:27 PM
Kbore
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

robzuc97,
THANKS for the info. I had gone through the same deal and got the d01, d02...to d011. Seems like I only get it at 80 MPH or so but that could be coincidence- it flashes on for about 5 seconds then goes off.

Just for the record, an Indi told me to check the speed sensor for "crap". I removed it, it was fairly covered with tiny little metal particles. Once cleaned and re-installed, the engine light went off.

Last edited by Kbore; 06-08-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:34 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,930 Likes on 1,914 Posts

Tom from Harley Goodies here. If there is a code stored the light will come for 50 starts I believe. Then it will clear itself.

Regards,
Tom
Harley Goodies

Old 06-09-2009, 07:49 PM
robzuc97
Road Master
Default Those damned codes!

They are cool if you have a digital tech II and the manuals and special tools to support but suck for the DIY! Kbore: The light you describe isn't a code since it will light for 4 seconds go out then come on for an 8-count, then out after the key is turned on. I'm wondering if the O2 sensors correction factor at that speed may not have something to do with at those speeds since it would tend to go toward the lean side after an initial rich from throttle goose. Does this happen just after a heavy throttle twist to get to 80 MPH or when while cruising at 80 MPH? I'm betting it's the initial throttle pull [initial rich condition] to end speed [lean from combustion] but either way from the AFR demand at 80 MPH. Kind of like it's "borderline" running too rich and "almost" throwing a P0132/P0152 code but NOT! Dunno if that makes any sense; just kinda thinkin' out loud. Bottom line, unless it keeps a code of has a driveability problem, no worries!

Old 06-09-2009, 10:52 PM
Kbore
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I only noticed it came on at a steady cruise of 80mph- I think it was just coincidence. I dont have the 02 sensors (02 model) but like you say, its running really good. I'll have to keep an eye on it and log what it does. WOnder if it will act up with an intake leak?

Old 06-09-2009, 11:25 PM
robzuc97
Road Master

Ah-so I was talking out the other end after all LOL! Naw if you had a leak [or any trouble], you'd KNOW it; even a small one. You know I see a lot of PC-type errors here in the Forum [I like the SERT but both my bikes too old for + carbbed} has it done it since PC install? Just keep track of the "when" it happens and esp what you were doing i.e.: hard accel, going up a steep hill, etc. and should be OK.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:39 AM
hd72flh
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try driving 79 mph....the lite shouldnt come on......i try to help all i can....