Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

kickstand support

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 09:16 AM
questor
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default kickstand support

Made an oak support to prevent my scoot from sinking into soft ground etc. My question: when I pull into an area to park, what is the technique to insert the support under the kickstand?

In my case it is in the saddle bag, therefore I must drop the kickstand, dismount and open the saddle bag and retrieve the support. Then what a bitch to lift the bike and slide in the support.

TIA

Old 06-18-2009, 09:20 AM
keltonkrew
Road Master

I have a metal camping plate (an eating plate - looks like pie plate). I keep in my left hard bag. I can open my bag while sitting on the scoot, pull out plate, drop on ground, lower jiffy stand and slide plate under jiffy stand with my foot.

when I get ready to leave, I get on bike, pick up jiffy stand, I can lean over to pick up plate, put back in bag, close bag and ride.....been doing it this way and works like a charm

Old 06-18-2009, 09:30 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I keep a flat beer can in my left lower, take it out put it on the gorund and there it is!

Old 06-18-2009, 09:30 AM
Bobzilla
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just tie a rope on it and hang it on the handle bars

Old 06-18-2009, 09:44 AM
cbears
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by keltonkrew
I have a metal camping plate (an eating plate - looks like pie plate). I keep in my left hard bag. I can open my bag while sitting on the scoot, pull out plate, drop on ground, lower jiffy stand and slide plate under jiffy stand with my foot.

when I get ready to leave, I get on bike, pick up jiffy stand, I can lean over to pick up plate, put back in bag, close bag and ride.....been doing it this way and works like a charm
+1. I've got the plastic Harley puck they sell at the dealership but use the same process.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:03 PM
Aleslinger
Tourer

The Harley Puck is too large to put in your pocket, but will do the trick. Any advice on where to put it at arms reach on a RoadGlide?

Old 06-18-2009, 12:11 PM
mnskip
Tourer

Most of the time you will have enough support for the bike in the amount of time it takes to remove it from the saddle bag and put it under the jiffy stand. In my case, the bags are always locked while riding so I have to get off bike to unlock the bags. As stated by another poster, you could keep it in your pocket.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:32 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mnskip
Most of the time you will have enough support for the bike in the amount of time it takes to remove it from the saddle bag and put it under the jiffy stand. In my case, the bags are always locked while riding so I have to get off bike to unlock the bags. As stated by another poster, you could keep it in your pocket.
+1, if you don't have time you might want to reconsider where you are parking. In all my years I have only been in one situation where I wouldn't be able to have time to get into my bags because it was so soft and muddy. I dropped into first, spun the back wheel a few seconds, then just got off and left her standing there with no kickstand until it was time to leave.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:44 PM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I use a large funiture coaster. Drilled a hole in it, tied some string to it, and wrap the string around the mirror when I'm parked. That way i can be a lazy butt and don't have to bend over.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:58 PM
questor
Road Master

Originally Posted by scoteh
I use a large funiture coaster. Drilled a hole in it, tied some string to it, and wrap the string around the mirror when I'm parked. That way i can be a lazy butt and don't have to bend over.
with my arthritis and 11B days, there is no friggin way from a seated positon retrieving any object from the ground or reaching back into the saddle for the support.

Love the idea of "string". Still need a solution to insert the support.

Quick Reply: kickstand support