General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not a good start for Laconia bike week

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 08:50 PM
lapisblue
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not a good start for Laconia bike week

STODDARD, N.H. (AP) _ Three motorcyclists died today at the start of Motorcycle Week in an accident involving a Jeep Cherokee and seven motorcycles in Stoddard (New Hampshire).

State Police Lieutenant Jerome Maslan said the motorcycles were headed east on Route Nine at about noon when one motorcycle drifted into the oncoming path of the Jeep as they rounded a curve.

The driver of the Jeep lost control and veered into the eastbound lane, striking three motorcycles. The drivers of two other bikes lost control and went down.

Only one bike made it through the mess unscathed.

Three people on bikes died and three others were injured. One was airlifted to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center. Three people in the Jeep were treated at a nearby hospital for non-life threatening injuries.

Police withheld the names of the dead and injured pending notification of relatives.

The accident closed Route Nine for about five hours.

Motorcycle Week as an annual rally that attracts thousands of bikers from around the country.

Copyright 2006 Associated Press.

New Hampshire State Police officer Russell B. Lamson interviews Dean Stoddard and Heather Barton, both of Easthampton, Mass., following a crash on Route 9 that killed three people in Stoddard, N.H., on Friday, June 9, 2006. (AP Photo/The Keene Sentinel, Michael Moore)

Old 06-09-2006, 09:14 PM
millzog
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 113 Posts
Default RE: Not a good start for Laconia bike week

Boy thats really sad that it had to happen . But who do you blame the guy in the jeep or the dude on the bike.......... I think everybody needs to slow down and be aware of whats going on around them at all times. Just in a split second and lives were lost.Its a shame , slow down and smell the roses and ride safe out there, so you will be around for tomorrow........

Old 06-09-2006, 09:29 PM
lapisblue
Tourer

From the write up it appears the biker crossed the center line going into the corner. A lot of first time motorcycle riders can go in a straight line all day long with no problems but when they get into curves they are lost. Braking, downshifting, it takes a lot more skill to negotiate a curve. You can float over the center line before you can react. As you said in your post, slower is better .

Old 06-09-2006, 09:29 PM
kjriv
Road Warrior

that really sucks.

Wonder what kinda bike the first guy was on? Not that it makes it any better or worst. Just wondering.

What a way to kick off the week.

Old 06-09-2006, 09:32 PM
lapisblue
Tourer

Looks like a super glide or a street Bob in the photo next to the Jeep......

Old 06-09-2006, 09:45 PM
Softbutt
Tourer

Same thing happened in Myrtle beach this year. Fortunately only 3 more were killed.

Old 06-09-2006, 10:04 PM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not good at all.

Old 06-09-2006, 10:17 PM
Motogo
Road Captain

That is sad, I hate to hear those kind of things cars or bikes makes no differance dead is forever.

Old 06-10-2006, 01:03 AM
Bluerose

Very sad to hear....

ORIGINAL: lapisblue

From the write up it appears the biker crossed the center line going into the corner. A lot of first time motorcycle riders can go in a straight line all day long with no problems but when they get into curves they are lost. Braking, downshifting, it takes a lot more skill to negotiate a curve. You can float over the center line before you can react. As you said in your post, slower is better .
So True....You can really tell the difference between me (1 yr riding) and hubby (25 yrs riding).
I slow down quite a bit on curves where he just blows through.

Been practicing by riding a local mountian road but it takes a lot concentration on my part still.
Hubby and I are always split on routes....I tend to still go for straighter rodes and he wants to hit
the mountians... not to say I can't ride a curvy road but when I'm tired I'm up for the straight route.

Old 06-10-2006, 09:15 AM
cosmo glider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 382 Likes on 156 Posts

Always sad hearing tragic news like this.

40 year old beginner motorcyclist and 16 year old with a learners permit for a car are equivelent except for fenders, seat belts and air bags.

Quick Reply: Not a good start for Laconia bike week