General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What A Piece of Junk

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 04:52 PM
OverPricedJunk
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What A Piece of Junk

On March 29 of this year I purchased my first Harley Davidson a 2006 Ultra Classic. "WHAT A $26.000 MISTAKE". I have had nothing but problems with the bike since day one and would not recommend anyone buying a Harley. It all started when I went to pick the bike up and the dealer told me it wasn't ready because it was smoking pou of the left exhaust. Well to make the story a little shorter, bad value guide seal, engine had to be torn apart. Had bike one week left rear shock went bad. 1000 mile service spark plug thread broke off in head engine apart again. Radio went bad (two weeks to get another one) not new reconditioned. Drivers back rest broke, wires hanging out from under fairing, air cleaner almost fell off on trip, trim on front fender came loose, net for top of tour pack won't stay attached, stripped screws in left switch housing, and cracked y pipe on the exhaust. All of this before I have made the third payment on this piece of junk
I will have to say that the dealer Frieze Harley Davidson has been pretty good to me doing what they can but it still doesn't make up for the piece of junk that Harley is trying to pass off as their top of the line motorcycle.
Since the y pipe was replaced this last Wednesday I have noticed that the exhaust system gets so hot that it glows cherry red. According to Harley this is within normal operating guidelines. What a crock of %^$^. I just rode the bike home from work (15 miles) put a therometer between the gas tank and the seat 116 degrees fun uh.
Well now so that I don't have to worry about my bike catching on fire becuase the exhaust is glowing red I get to spend another $1,800 on it to put a new exhaust on it as well as a Harley Davidson Performance Tuner have it MAPPED and then maybe I will be able to ride it. "OH AND IT MIGHT VOID MY WARRENTY"

"WHAT EVER YOU DO DON'T BUY A HARLEY"

Old 06-16-2006, 04:57 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: What A Piece of Junk

1st post?

If you are going to post something that is going to bait us fine HD folk, ya gotta do a better job than that..
That's just a sorry attempt.

Why don't you go to I"M Afag.com and try to find a little boy to molest...

Old 06-16-2006, 04:59 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,751 Likes on 766 Posts

Every company has a lemon every now and then. The overwhelming evidence says that HD is a quality bike. If I were you, I would demand a new bike. There are too many problems with this one.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 06-16-2006, 05:01 PM
mrghos
Road Master

Boy are you on the wrong forum...saying that stuff...

Sorry you are having problems with such a fine piece of machinery...[:@]

Mine gets hot too. That is what happens when you have 1450 cc's right underneath your "nadz"

I had to replace my exhaust and get a race tuner also. Who wants to run a stock bike...?

Taking the plunge and pouring money into the bike whether it be for parts, chrome or service is what the experience is all about.

You should have joined the forum long time ago to get an idea of what you were getting yourself into...

And hey! It's only money...right?

Old 06-16-2006, 05:03 PM
mrghos
Road Master

ORIGINAL: George C

1st post?

If you are going to post something that is going to bait us fine HD folk, ya gotta do a better job than that..
Tha't just a sorry attempt...
Why don't you go to I"M A ***.com and try to find a little boy to molest...

Now that is HARSH!!!!

Old 06-16-2006, 05:04 PM
bobros
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW... you really convinced me. With your testimony, I'm gonna sell my Harley today. Could you please post again to recommend what bike I should buy?

Old 06-16-2006, 05:18 PM
Keith_H
Outstanding HDF Member

If all is as you say, I agree with Clammy, you got you a lemon, sorry to hear it. I'm sure it's real disappointing and would make me mad as a hornet also. There are laws that cover this sort of thing, "The Lemon Law". Not sure of the details but may be worth looking into.
These things do happen in all automotive and motorcyle industry brands, that's why they came up with the law. I know you're PO'd but most on this site would say your bike is not an accurate reflection of the entire line or brand, just built on a Friday when the guy was ready to go fishing instead of paying attention to his work. The HD quality standard has always marked high in all reports.
Good luck, hope all works out in the end. They'll be able to get the bike right but never pay you back for your irritation.

Old 06-16-2006, 05:18 PM
carsoni
Tourer

Dear Junk,
I think I know the problem. You only paid $26,000 for your bike. Under the HD first time buyer plan you should have asked if you could go ahead and pay some more. That way you would be even more pi$$ed about the performance. You didn't say what color you bought. Everybody knows some colors have more problems when new than others. If you paint your bike it will probably run JUST fine(unless you scratch it). Well good luck and be sure to tip your waiter and join HOG on your way out.[sm=boohoo.gif]

Old 06-16-2006, 05:22 PM
Legendary6301
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude...we have all had our issues with our bikes. Unfortunantly, you have had a truly horrible experience. Try http://www.lemonlaw.com its worth a shot. You should get a new bike out of it. Call HD Corporate and plead you case, fax your receipts and dealer invoices, and a log of what has happened to you.
Basically, what your doing is generalizing. You know who else generalized...the friggin *****.
If you had a child that was retarded would you preach to stop procreation totally?
I understand your frustration but like momma always said...Don't let one bad apple spoil the bunch!

We are all human, sh*t happens. Suck it up. Buy a different bike but don't bash something because you had a bad experience.

Just my opinion...2004 FatBoy

Old 06-16-2006, 05:24 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some of the items listed in the original complaint are due to lack of attention by the owner.

You need to check your bike prior to riding it for loose fasteners and torque any found to spec and use locktite or similar compound when doing so. No, this need is not unique to Harley's. You should do this to all motorcycles and private aircraft.

You may want to have them check the engine mounts if you have cracked a wye pipe.

Quick Reply: What A Piece of Junk