Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster Custom to Nightster Look

Old 07-04-2009, 01:15 PM
harlista01
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sportster Custom to Nightster Look

Hello Everyone,

I purchased in February an 09 Sportster Custom and it is my first bike. I did my research for about a month and for some reason I never did really see the Nightster or the Iron Models. Even when I went to the dearlership, they did not appeal to me. However, lately I have been severely drawn to them.

Here is my dilemma, I purchased the Sportster with the trade up program so I thought about trading it up to a Night Train; however with this economy it will mean that I will need to spend a lot more money.

The other option is that I am thinking about doing some modifications to my bike. For example, adding that screaming eagle air intake (big breather), black powder coated slips ons and exhaust covers and maybe at one point whitewall tires.

I did a search and the majority of images that come up are Nightster/Iron models.

Do you any of you have any pictures of a Custom that has been modified to look like a Nighster? Or that has the above mentioned parts.

I look forward to your responses.

Sincerely,

Harlista01

Happy 4th of July!

Old 07-04-2009, 01:20 PM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

It CAN be done! If you have tools, and are willing to take your time, you can remove parts, and have them powdercoated, chop the back fender, etc. just about anything you can think of!

And best of all it will be unique....not just another Nightster.

~Joe

Old 07-04-2009, 04:19 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Good lord you bought a Custom leave it a Custom. If you want a Nightster then sell the Custom take it in the shorts and go by a Nightster.
Both bikes look great and the Nightsters/Bobbers are a fad right now and in 5 years they won't be worth anymore than any other Harley.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:14 AM
camelott112
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HAHA, Sportster world seems torn in two by the addition of the nighster, i know its completely unrelated for me to post that... but some of you guys talk about the n like its a curse hahaha...

As far as your nighty conversion i totally agree with traveler, no matter what type of XL you have just make it your own some of us like that balance of black and others like chrome "to each their own"

good luck man ride safe...
Ace

Old 07-05-2009, 09:30 AM
SpoilSport
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The grass is always greener on the other side. Do a hybrid with both designs integrated as one.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:48 AM
SpursDarkrider
Road Warrior

if you wanted the dark look should of bought a dark one. Custom is a chrome *****.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:32 PM
sportster6161
Advanced
Default Check out my conversion

Here are some pics of my 1200L I did some mods on, using the nightster rear fender.

Attached Thumbnails Sportster Custom to Nightster Look-nightster-fender.jpg   Sportster Custom to Nightster Look-nightster-fender-rear.jpg  
Old 07-05-2009, 07:38 PM
harlista01
Tourer

Thanks everyone for their responses, yes it was hard at first to have decided which sportster to buy. But hey sometimes things grow on you . . . Well, I have a good eight months to figure out what I will do with it.

Sportster6161, do you have those pictures in a higher resolution? When I scrolled over them, the image did not enlarge like the other ones typically do.

Anybody here with black slips on and chrome exhaust pipes (covers)?

Thanks,

Harlista01

Old 07-05-2009, 09:05 PM
Slackster
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say...... Don't build a Nightster. Just build a badass bike. Just do some crazy stuff to it.

I bought a Nightster cuz I loved the retro look, but in the end you just end up moving away from it's natural look.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:12 PM
Dizzzy
Tourer

Originally Posted by Slackster
I would say...... Don't build a Nightster. Just build a badass bike. Just do some crazy stuff to it.

I bought a Nightster cuz I loved the retro look, but in the end you just end up moving away from it's natural look.
That thing is just too damn cool!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sportster Custom to Nightster Look