Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Indianapolis Harley Northside

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 12:12 AM
FLSTCI nut
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Indianapolis Harley Northside

I am going to have a SERT installed next week at the Indianapolis Harley Northside Store and wanted to know if anybody out there knows of or have had any experience with this dealership service dept. They gave me a price of $459 for the SERT and they said about 4 hours to install and do a custom map on their dyno. $65 an hour. Does this seem reasonable? Also get a 15% discount on the SERT. Does this shop know what they are doing? Any and all advice will be apprciated. Should I trust this shop?

Old 06-17-2006, 09:04 AM
zubaugh
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Indianapolis Harley Northside

I got my SERT for $325 and my dealer took 6 hours at $72/per and did not get it even close!

Went to a Qualified "Non Dealer" and he tuned it in 45 minutes. Here's the dyno. ..and if you're not getting performance and mileage you'll need to find another tuner also. Dealers tend to just download standard maps and tune rich for HP....WRONG!!!!
Name:  Sert20060510.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  139.1 KB

Old 06-17-2006, 09:09 AM
zubaugh
Road Captain

Oh I forgot, my dyno is a 4th gear roll-on.
If comparing with other dyno runs, be sure that they were also done in 4th gear, as 5th gear tends to produce higher numbers.

Old 06-18-2006, 01:26 AM
FLSTCI nut
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the quick response. Just how will I know if I get a good tune? Other than hopefully the popping on decel quits.

Old 06-18-2006, 09:10 AM
zubaugh
Road Captain

Good question and I'm not sure I'm qualified to answer

Since a good Dyno guy can make the chart look anyway he wants, that's not too helpful.

There are several things I would look for

1) easy starting
2) when warmed up the idle should be around 800 RPM
3) Smooth in the parking lot! What I mean by that is you'll feel plenty of low end torque. There will be no hesitation but immediate and positive throttle response from 1st gear at an idle. If its jerky then [sm=imsorry.gif]
4) Take it up to 70MPH then in 5th, roll on the throttle. There will be an immediate and positive throttle response. If it sounds like a Volkswagen [sm=boosign.gif]
5) There will be an immediate and positive throttle response regardless of the gear or speed. You should feel the power almost like a surge when you roll on hard. It will go through the gears faster and very much smoother feeling on Acceleration and Deceleration.
6) the will be absolutley no poping on deceleration. Go ahead wind it up and let it go. Or take on a 6% garde or better and downshift.
7) Finally, you need to be getting better than 40MPG.

I'm not familiar with your pipes. My T-rex 3" true duals were defective and I tossed then while on a road trip. My dealer never understood the problem and because of that could not get a consistent run after 6 hours. You just have to believe in someone. Find a club or group in your area and talk to them. I found my tuner 700 miles from where I live. No one around here could help!

Lastly, I am not an expert by any means. I've asked all the questions and continue to do so. The folks on this forum are awesome. Take the responses and use them as food for thought. Make your own decisions. The above 7 points are what stand out for me after my tune.

Hope this helps [sm=signs003.gif]

ORIGINAL: FLSTCI nut

Thanks for the quick response. Just how will I know if I get a good tune? Other than hopefully the popping on decel quits.