Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

rev limit

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 12:57 PM
hodshire
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rev limit

I posted this on another forum but did not get a responce. Are harley cranks twisting because of over reving the engines. My bike has a rev limiter that will not allow the engine to operate above 5500 rpm. If the stock bikes are twisting because of over reving why does the motor company set the limit at 5500 and not 5000 rpm. I have hit the rev limiter several times while pulling out on the highway and trying to get underway before I got runover. Why would they set the rev limiter to 5500 rpm unless the engine is manufactured to be able to turn 5500 rpm. I do not mean sustained rpm but just be able to hit it. I do not abuse my bike, I do not drag race or burn out or down shift to too low a gear but I think that the engine sould be able to operate within the designed rpm (as set by harley) without comming apart. I know that limiters can be raised to a higher rpm but I am only talking about stock (or close, pipes intake and fuel managment) bike that have not had limit raised. Please anyone with comments?

Old 07-20-2009, 01:35 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most of them quit putting out power before the limit hits, I think lugging the engine does more harm than reving it.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:38 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Make sure you are real warmed up before hitting any rev limit. Hopefully you are warming up or you will do lots of damage.

HD cranks are put together with a press fit. The desigh calls for a 0.007 interference between the Crank Pin and the Wheels. During some period of time, for some reason, (I don't really know the exact period), these requirments were relaxed it seems. The desigh ought to be bullit proof if done as desighed.

Also as a side note I just recentely found the counter weight sprokets for the ,B, engine are also pressed on and can slip. Another thing for me to worry about.

Last edited by Old Gunny; 07-21-2009 at 07:51 AM.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:08 AM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Dont WORRY so much, just GRAB A HANDFULL and ride. Enjoy yourself, if the FREAKING CRANK GOES. It GOES and theres not a FREAKING THING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT. This CRANK issue has gotten out of control, FEAR MONGERING!

Old 07-26-2009, 04:35 PM
hodshire
3rd Gear

Yes I ride em hard, always have. I just think that the way the cranks are put together they should hold up to rpms set by the motor company. I have had a lot of bikes over the years (mostly harleys) and have never had as many problems as most people seem to be having. I know all mechanical parts can have problems but not on the large scale that I see on the forums. I have mechanically hot rodded many bikes and cars and I know that the extra pressures and stress need reinforcement, but stock vehicals operating within manufactured given parameters should hold up if quality control, engineering, r&d is present. I have had problems with other bikes 77 flh that leaked more oil than opec has, but with current technology even the old tractor (harley) motor should be bullet proof by now. After all they have had almost 100 years to get it right. Dont get me wrong I love harley's and have had at least one in the garage since I was 17. I am just worried that they wont be around forever if they dont get there sh*t together. The motor company seems to be more worried about getting other brand owners to convert, than keeping the die hards comming back for a new bike every few years. I have four right now and I have not had a crank shift, so mabey it is just a few people that have beat the **** out of their bike and the rumor mill starts running overtime.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:05 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior

i think most of the problem ypou read about are over hyped and people trying to sell products.
heres a good rule of thumb...
if you are going to build the motor over lets say approx 120/120 hp/tq its a good solid investment to get the crank checked welded and balanced. plus the timkin bearing its stronger then stock.
then at least you know if you lets say take it down the track its safe.
other wise just a big bore eup grade i would not worry about it.
but you said you ride hard now how hard is hard.
me i ride hard i run at the upper rpm band a lot ..havent did it much this year as i am just enjoying the ride.
like i stated if you plan on going with more hp then as a piece of minf get it done if not just enjoy...

Old 07-27-2009, 08:59 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You have to realize that on these forums you are only seeing a snapshot of the entire HD population, and quite a few people only join forums to express their dismay at having problems with the product. Yes, there have been crank failures but it is not something to worry about, especially on a stock bike. As SeDeluxe put it, for piece of mind with a highly modified engine, it pays to have some crank work done. But for a stocker, or even a 103/107, I would not pay the extra money up front for the crank work, If it grenades, then by all means do it then.

Just ride it and enjoy, and quit worrying. All things mechanical break from time to time, but it is not worth the aggravation of worrying everytime you go out for a ride.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:36 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalton
You have to realize that on these forums you are only seeing a snapshot of the entire HD population, and quite a few people only join forums to express their dismay at having problems with the product. Yes, there have been crank failures but it is not something to worry about, especially on a stock bike. As SeDeluxe put it, for piece of mind with a highly modified engine, it pays to have some crank work done. But for a stocker, or even a 103/107, I would not pay the extra money up front for the crank work, If it grenades, then by all means do it then.

Just ride it and enjoy, and quit worrying. All things mechanical break from time to time, but it is not worth the aggravation of worrying everytime you go out for a ride.
I would agree that some just join to bitch. I participate in other forums and there are people that join and make one or two posts never to return. As I study sales it is harder to get a good recommendation than a bad one, meaning if a user is satisfied he probably will never say anything but if they are POed they will go to lengths to show their dissatisfaction.

I just ride the hell out of mine and it has always worked for me. YMMV

Old 07-29-2009, 06:21 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

We also see the "crank thing" is waaaay over-hyped.
Got some powerful 107" drop-on kit out there, that are getting pounded.
No issues.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:42 AM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I am one of the folks with a slipped crank. I agree 100% that this problem is very blown outta proportion of the percentage of engines that it IS an issue. I bet it is less than a percent of a percent, if even that. I MAY have done the crank in by being a poor rider. I can remember having NOT paid attention and getting into a spot where I HAD to slam the brakes. Mighta hit brakes while pulling clutch.... stopped engine dead in its tracks.

An internet message board has the effect of blowing crap out of proportion. People do NOT post that their (fill in blank) is doing fine. So, a person ONLY sees the people reporting problems.

I am mentally using my own crank issue to justify a BB kit with a SUPER DUPER bottom end. I feel that a simple true, plug, and weld would have sufficed, but me??? HAHA, I am getting the crankshaft from Hell... It will be a piece that stays with me if they ever repo the bike! HAH!!!

If I were a normal Harley owner that does less than 10k miles a year... Heck! I wouldn't worry about it at all and get a nice top end kit from Scott, Randy, or Steve (Hillside, Hyperformance, GMR).

Last edited by wurk_truk; 07-29-2009 at 10:50 AM.

Quick Reply: rev limit