Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield height and angle

Old 07-30-2009, 03:29 PM
cdrich
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield height and angle

Quick question about the windshield. What is the best height and angle to give wind protection? I have never had a windshield in the past and my current one does not seem to be adjusted correctly for highway speeds.

Full of questions but my fingers can't seem to keep up with my thoughts...................

Old 07-30-2009, 03:40 PM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Height= 0 best angle= the shortest route to the trash can. Solution= full face helmet JMHO

Old 07-30-2009, 03:48 PM
mp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, everyone is different, but my preference is a shield that comes up to about the level of my mouth, so I can see over it at all times, and angled about the same as the forks. When I see people complain about buffeting they always seem to have windshields that are nearly straight up.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:11 PM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I like to look over the W/S not through. It is the Harley compact quick release for my Fat Bob. Around town, I do not use it, don't like its' looks, and around town it really serves no purpose for me, as the only time I can really appreciate what it has to offer (wind pressure relief on upper body) is when I do x-country rides..... multiple hours of 70-85 mph cruising and sometimes into a strong headwind.
The shield gave me fits for a while with its' (for me) eyball bouncing turbulence (particularly with helmet faceshield up) at speeds over 55mph.
That is UNTIL recently I mounted a Laminar Lip to it and wen t for a 2,000 mile ride. The Lip' reduced turbulence maybe 75%, making it now, just noticeable, but not annoying like without it......

Old 07-31-2009, 10:27 AM
cdrich
Cruiser

Thanks a bunch for the input. I'll try a little tweaking this weekend.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:08 PM
heywood727
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 07-31-2009, 03:14 PM
doublenaughtspy
Tourer

The best shield I have used is a Windvest with a Cee Bailey's 9" summer replacement screen. THe problem with most windscreens is that at highway speeds, you're going to get buffeting. You can try lowers, tool bag on the forks, air diverters, tank lifts, but unfortunately, you're probably still going to get helmet buffeting. Wearing a full face helmet and riding without a windscreen doesn't solve the problem of the windblast on your chest. The Cee Bailey's shield with a full face helmet is the best solution for long distance riding on a Dyna. The shield keeps the wind off of your chest, but is not so high that it disrupts the airflow to your helmet. The airflow to your helmet must be smooth and uninterrupted, or you're going to suffer from buffeting. Plus, the shorter windscreen is virtually unnoticeable. Do a search for Cee Bailey and Windvest. Someone posted a pic in a thread of the exact setup I have. Cost a little more, but definitely worth it!

Old 08-05-2009, 08:12 AM
cdrich
Cruiser

I adjusted my angle and made sure to fit it around my headlight real well also. I have a shield that hugs my headlight real well with about a 1/8th inch gap all around it. Still a little buffeting but not too bad. I already had the tool bag on the forks so there isn't much more to try. With all the backroad scenery around my area I may just stay off the fast roads and enjoy the back country. I'm already taking a different longer way to work in the mornings when I'm on the bike.......

Old 08-05-2009, 08:49 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cdrich
I adjusted my angle and made sure to fit it around my headlight real well also. I have a shield that hugs my headlight real well with about a 1/8th inch gap all around it. Still a little buffeting but not too bad. I already had the tool bag on the forks so there isn't much more to try. With all the backroad scenery around my area I may just stay off the fast roads and enjoy the back country. I'm already taking a different longer way to work in the mornings when I'm on the bike.......
Try this as well as huggin the head light! Tilt it forward! Got rid of pretty much all my buffetting. I have the Harley QD Standard.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:08 AM
arkywally
Stage III
Default Laminar Lip for stock FXDF windshield

Centerline --- I am in the same situation with my "10" Fat Bob, so where did you get a hold of one of these "Laminar Lips" ? would like to try one out...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Windshield height and angle