Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any good cheap brake pads??

Old 08-05-2009, 09:36 PM
drum412
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any good cheap brake pads??

Anyone have any good experiences with some of the cheaper aftermarket brake pads out there??? I just think the harley pads are overpriced and dusty as hell. Every other bike i've owned had pads that at most cost around $25 for stock, they worked good, and were fairly clean. I've seen aftermarket pads for sportsters range from $15-100 per set, yet even with all the pricy ones, it seams reviews are really mixed.

If anyone has any suggestions i'd really appreciate it, i'm due for pads both rear and front and like to keep it below $30 a set if theres any good ones out there.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:40 PM
ChoppedNbobbeD
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not being a smart *** but when it comes to brakes, CHEAP n GOOD do not mix. unless they are stolen.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:46 PM
drum412
Road Captain

Well expensive n good don't seem to be the case either. And atleast with my previous bikes cheap and good ussually was the case. But based on the harley aftermarket pads, seems I see equally as many compaints as praise for any type of pad.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:51 PM
gilmour68
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I picked some up for around $20 shipped. The link to the ebay seller is below. Seem to be wearing well after about 5k miles. The local indy started stocking some aftermarket pads instead of the (overpriced) HD sets recently. Can't see spending that much for a single set of pads.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-B...Q5fAccessories

Old 08-05-2009, 09:56 PM
drum412
Road Captain

How is the brake dust, any better than harley pads or about the same? The dust is the number one thing I hate about the stock pads.

Originally Posted by gilmour68
I picked some up for around $20 shipped. The link to the ebay seller is below. Seem to be wearing well after about 5k miles. The local indy started stocking some aftermarket pads instead of the (overpriced) HD sets recently. Can't see spending that much for a single set of pads.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-B...Q5fAccessories

Old 08-05-2009, 10:08 PM
gilmour68
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

There's dust, but I don't know how to compare it to the stock pads. I bought my bike with some pretty oxidized and pitted aluminum parts including the rear wheel. I cleaned and polished the rear wheel and changed the pads. A while later I noticed that the wheel was "dirty" and somewhat oxidized again, moreso on the left (brake) side than the right side.

I removed the wheel, cleaned and waxed it again. Now I make sure to wash the wheel very well when cleaning. But I also had problems with the rear wheel on my '05 XL1200C which had stock HD pads on it. The chrome was lifting from the aluminum in a number of places especially on the left (brake) side.

The brake dust is nasty stuff and I think you'll run into problems no matter what brand pads you use. It's a matter of maintenance and cleaning. BTW, I polished my aluminum fork sliders, triple trees and levers and they are also oxidizing again. I think it's just something you have to deal with.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:24 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I recently put some high dollar Lyndall pads on my eg.Don't really notice any difference except they were a heck of alot more money.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:50 AM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ChoppedNbobbeD
not being a smart *** but when it comes to brakes, CHEAP n GOOD do not mix. unless they are stolen.

You beat me to it.

By the way when is it normal to change out the brakes?

Normal driving conditions applied?
I have 3k on my nightster and the rear brake isn't what it used to be.

Last edited by BiggDogg; 08-06-2009 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:54 AM
fdh161
Supporter
Received 193 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHoss
I recently put some high dollar Lyndall pads on my eg.Don't really notice any difference except they were a heck of alot more money.
I've had exactly the opposite experience. I've used nothing but LRBs as replacements for the past decade. If you break them in the way the instructions tell you (10 firm stops from slow speed followed by 10 firm stops from higher speed) you can actually feel them getting stronger during the process. Lyndalls stay strong long after the cheaper brands start fading. Two things I won't scrimp on are tires and brakes. There's too much depending on both of them.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:16 AM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I got pads from Kcint.com (KC International) or kcint on ebay. Even know the pads come in an unmarked, generic box. (Probably from a bulk pack) They are inexpensive and seem to work well with minimal dust.

Watch the wear pattern, on my 02, the front was rubbing the rotor in one place and upon removal of the caliper, I saw that one pad was wearing at an angle. I changed the pads (stock pads) and all is well. I think the pad wore at such an angle, the pistons got jammed on one side of the caliper and wouldn't retract properly.

Last edited by Gpsjr10; 08-06-2009 at 08:21 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any good cheap brake pads??