Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

location of security module or smart security system

Old 08-14-2009, 08:55 AM
manborn
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default location of security module or smart security system

the dealer told me i don't have security but the red key light comes on when i'm coasting at 40 down a hill. then goes away after moving from a complete stop.

where is the module located? and does anyone have pictures? where do they usually hide the fob if they don't put it on your key chain.

i want to take it to the dealer but it's so hard to prove unless i'm running 40mph coasting down a hill and they are watching, i guess i can record it on video. i can just imagine them saying we can't find the problem even diagnosing the bike's computer.

i've checked the other threads and i have no other issues with the bike except the above.

according to the manual-
service: a key icon that remains illuminated longer than four seconds indicates that service of the module is required

which brings me back to, i have no security according to the dealer but if i can locate the module then maybe they are wrong. plus i was coasting for definitely more then 4 seconds.

Last edited by manborn; 08-14-2009 at 09:04 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:04 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im not 100% sure here... but i think your bike may be throwing trouble code (DTC).

Old 08-14-2009, 01:05 PM
fox4
Road Master

The factory security is located above the ECM under the seat if the bike is equiped with it I do believe. I also believe there are pictures of it in all the pictures of the ECM tray in the service manual. If that is the same thing that you are refering to?

Old 08-14-2009, 01:20 PM
manborn
Advanced

Originally Posted by shimmon
im not 100% sure here... but i think your bike may be throwing trouble code (DTC).
can you elaborate a little bit?

Old 08-14-2009, 01:22 PM
manborn
Advanced

Originally Posted by fox4
The factory security is located above the ECM under the seat if the bike is equiped with it I do believe. I also believe there are pictures of it in all the pictures of the ECM tray in the service manual. If that is the same thing that you are refering to?
damn, i've only got the owner's manual but i'm referring to the security module itself, the brains of it. also do they just hide the fob right beside it if they don't put it on your key chain?

Old 08-14-2009, 01:52 PM
fox4
Road Master

Yeah what I am talking about would be the brain of the security system. If the bike does not have security the only thing sitting in the ECM tray under the seat would be the ECM and the wire harness that plugs into it. If the bike does have it then there will be another small box that sits by the ECM in the ECM tray under the seat.

I've never heard of them hiding the fob on the bike. My dealer rubber bands them to the handle bars.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:40 PM
figjamb
Intermediate

Originally Posted by shimmon

I'm with shimmon on this one. BTW, I think you are looking for the factory security system that you ain't got. FOB hidden on bike=worthless. Don't make sense. Just my 2.

Last edited by figjamb; 08-14-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:18 PM
nevets61
Road Master
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Sounds like DTC code.. procedure to read codes are in the manual. Don't remember it off the top of my head. DTC are fault or trouble codes that the ECM registers if there is an issue noted in the system, ie. bad sensor, ect.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:25 PM
manborn
Advanced

Originally Posted by figjamb

FOB hidden on bike=worthless. Don't make sense. Just my 2.
sorry, what was i thinking. but it did it again today, normally i coast and down shift according to my speed but i down shifted all the way to N and coasted 40mph - sure enough at complete stop (bottom of the hill) red light comes on and goes away when i move.

Old 09-11-2019, 09:34 AM
coyotedata
Cruiser

Deleted

Last edited by coyotedata; 09-11-2019 at 09:39 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: location of security module or smart security system