General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PA Inspection Motorcycle Rip-off

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 12:06 PM
warthawg
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry PA Motorcycle Inspection Rip-off

I moved to Pennsylvania last January and registered and inspected my bike in February. I took the bike in for service yesterday and was informed that my inspection had expired in July!

From the PennDOT FAQ page:

"Upon passing a safety inspection most passenger cars and light trucks will receive an inspection sticker valid for one year from the month of inspection or one year from the expiration of the current inspection sticker on the vehicle...."

However, this does not apply to motorcycles! They publish a chart for motorcycles that in affect shows that if you register your bike between November and May, your first inspection is only good for 6 months. Of course you still get charged for a full year!

If I hadn't taken the bike in for service I would not have realized this was the case until next January. (The 7 on the inspection sticker looks a lot like a 1). Or have been stopped and ticketed!

Anyone know why motorcycles are treated different than cars here in Taxsylvania?

Last edited by warthawg; 08-19-2009 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:22 PM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You moved one state too far to the east... Ohio doesnt do all that inspection junk! Who dey!

Old 08-19-2009, 12:27 PM
harleyguy5571
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts

Welcome to the Commonwealth Of PA Our DOT SUCKs AZZ!!!!! Yes indeed this is just one of many bullch!t things they pull. BTW if you happen to get a ticket on your bike and they add a charge called CAT fund, don't pay it!!! Motor cycle traffic citations do not pay into the CAT fund. I found this out from a ABBAT lawyer. The cops still add it to the ticket and if you don't know the law and pay it, then it's your loss.

PA doesn't hate motorcycles per say, they just love to grab money every chance they get. I've delt with them a few times and even when they screw up, you still pay.

What part of PA You from? ...........Yes We call it PA

Old 08-19-2009, 01:54 PM
dhubley
Cruiser

I have never had to do that. My bike is due for new registration and inspection each April. It costs me $18 for the registration and $30 for the inspection. From what I have seen on the forum the $18 is a bargain and I hope that lasts.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:52 PM
luahu
6th Gear
Default inspection

I think the reason they did that was that too many people were using the excuse that it was winter and there was snow on the ground so i could not get my bike inspected. Now you cant use that excuse the way they set the due dates up. i think the latest stickers expire in october(10) and the earliest stickers start in may(5). No more 11,12,1,2,3,and 4's. The first one gets you if you register your bike in any of those months. Your plate no longer matches your sticker.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:22 PM
94fatboy
Tourer

Whats a motorcycle inspection???

Old 08-19-2009, 03:36 PM
dank24
Advanced

Pa sucks. I hate it.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:04 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 968 Likes on 731 Posts

The only good thing about inspections in PA is if you live in a county that has emission inspection for cars you are exempt if you put on less that 5000 miles a year. That's the only good part, the rest blows.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:05 PM
dank24
Advanced

haha I put around 35k miles a yr on my truck

Old 08-19-2009, 04:56 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 94fatboy
Whats a motorcycle inspection???
its a byproduct of bitching on forums and electing idiots. if everyone called their representatives' office on the day they got their inspections, there would be no more inspections.

ya can't go through life watching teevee, talking big, and wishing for change without making payments for the privilege.

Quick Reply: PA Inspection Motorcycle Rip-off