Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

another jam

Old 06-26-2006, 11:47 PM
wizardry68
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another jam

everytime i seem to get progress something else just slaps me in the face and puts a halt on things. went to install my new kick stand today and ran into a problem. went to put the spring on before the stand and where the spring is suppose to go on the flat the piece underneath is gone. any ideas on what to do? i was told to drill a hole and use a bolt. if so what can i use to drill a hole. this metal is about an inch thick. i know my cordless wont handle it. anything i can use? thanks lanky

Old 06-27-2006, 12:49 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: another jam

I will look under mine in the morning and then try to get you an answer to your problem. I have some stuff going on right now, but I will make every effort to get back to the post on this.
Meanwhile maybe someone else has the answer.

Old 06-27-2006, 03:28 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey wizard.......I looked at mine this morning and I can make a suggestion on what you need to do. The original connector was a steel O ring welded to the heavy lug. Apparently you lost yours going over a curb or something.
If it were me I would take the bike to a welder (or shop) and have another ring welded on where the original was located. All that you need to do is remove the paint where this goes.

I would not even consider using a bolt and drilled/tapped hole because of:
1) the difficulty you are going to have drilling and tapping that hole.
2) the stress placed on this item by the kick stand spring. It is considerable, and a small bolt (screw actually) is not going to last.

For an O ring replacement simply use a 1/4-20 nut welded on edge. Someone with a Mig welder can do this in 10 seconds.
That's what I would do anyway. Hope this helps.

Old 06-27-2006, 11:47 PM
mud
muderator
Received 8,717 Likes on 2,056 Posts

ORIGINAL: piniongear

Hey wizard.......I looked at mine this morning and I can make a suggestion on what you need to do. The original connector was a steel O ring welded to the heavy lug. Apparently you lost yours going over a curb or something.
If it were me I would take the bike to a welder (or shop) and have another ring welded on where the original was located. All that you need to do is remove the paint where this goes.

I would not even consider using a bolt and drilled/tapped hole because of:
1) the difficulty you are going to have drilling and tapping that hole.
2) the stress placed on this item by the kick stand spring. It is considerable, and a small bolt (screw actually) is not going to last.

For an O ring replacement simply use a 1/4-20 nut welded on edge. Someone with a Mig welder can do this in 10 seconds.
That's what I would do anyway. Hope this helps.
Yeah and besides that I would never drill into that frame.

Get a picture of original, and duplicate as close as possible.

Sh*t happens

mud