Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1976 Sportster Bicentennial edition

Old 08-22-2009, 02:43 PM
ride to the airport
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1976 Sportster Bicentennial edition

A friend and I are rebuilding the a 1976 Bicentennial edition Sportster. Does anyone have one of these? We intend to do the whole bike in flat black for fun, but are not sure if destroying the Bicentennial edition decals on the the oil and fuel tanks is a good idea. I can't find any original pictures of this edition and am interested in any information.

Old 08-22-2009, 04:37 PM
palerider
Cruiser

It’s only original once! Keep it original, there are not many Bicentennial bikes left. find aother bike that someone else has already hacked up and customize that. Look on e-bay for original sales brochures for some good info and photos.lots of books out there also. Just my two cents

Old 08-22-2009, 05:47 PM
Hitechluddite
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It’s only original once! Keep it original, there are not many Bicentennial bikes left. find aother bike that someone else has already hacked up and customize that. Look on e-bay for original sales brochures for some good info and photos.lots of books out there also. Just my two cents
+1 If nothing else get another set of skins and keep the originals

Old 08-22-2009, 06:33 PM
Mark g
Outstanding HDF Member

Are you guys F'in nuts???? If you guys paint it black someone should take it from you!!!!!

Restore it perfect, Sell it to a collector, then you and your buddy both go buy something not so rare to chop up. Don't be foolish man!

Old 08-22-2009, 07:43 PM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1 POST you gotta be kidding. Why would you even ask a question like that. If your for real keep it orginal.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:26 AM
ride to the airport
Stage III

Im looking for that sort of information showing this exact model edition but so far I'm not finding anything. I'll keep looking.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:34 AM
ride to the airport
Stage III

Originally Posted by Mark g
Are you guys F'in nuts???? If you guys paint it black someone should take it from you!!!!!

Restore it perfect, Sell it to a collector, then you and your buddy both go buy something not so rare to chop up. Don't be foolish man!
The bike has low mileage, <6k, but it sat unattended for years and has significant corrosion on all the parts. We aren't "chopping" any parts and the bike was black originally.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:35 AM
daniel.sm
Road Master
Received 145 Likes on 86 Posts

Are you seriously nuts???

These bikes were black originally, indeed, but they do have the special Bicentennial Edition decals on the gas and oil tank.

If you do want to customize, buy a new set of tins and do it your own way, keeping the original.

they were very limited bikes and I do think that there's not many bikes left out there (you can restore it to original condition and maybe even offer to HD Museum - if they don't have any in their archive collection)

Old 08-23-2009, 11:51 AM
notfried
Outstanding HDF Member

ya can't restore it completely unless you're the original owner...HD wont sell the tank badges unless you are...i know someone lookin' for another bicentennial Sporty(my friend has two others)...don't hack it,if ya wanna custom bike then sell the '76er and buy one AND customize it to your liking for what ya sold the other for

Old 09-02-2009, 11:47 PM
eq79
Intermediate

I had one with all the org. stickers and i kick myself in the *** everyday since i sold it. Keep it org.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1976 Sportster Bicentennial edition