Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler for 08 Low rider w/california emission canister???

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 06:29 PM
migraywolf
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Cooler for 08 Low rider w/california emission canister???

I have an 08 Dyna Low Rider with California emissions, which means I have the charcoal canister at the bottom of the frame where normally the oil cooler would mount. I am stationed overseas and I contacted my Harley dealer back home in Michigan about ordering a cooler. He researched it and discovered that Harley says their Premium Oil Cooler will not work on my bike. I cannot remove the canister due to emission laws so does anyone out there know of another option for me? I'm sure someone in California has installed a cooler. I am just wondering who makes a top quality cooler that will work for me.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:45 PM
benwiggin2
Road Master

My emission cannister "fell off".

Old 08-22-2009, 07:00 PM
migraywolf
Intermediate

Yes, but as I said, emission laws require it to be on. Thanks

Old 08-22-2009, 07:08 PM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

Any way to mount a Jagg cooler on the side frames?

Old 08-22-2009, 07:32 PM
migraywolf
Intermediate

I think that is the route I will have to go. I have been researching this and I think I can go with the Jagg, but also discovered the Ultracool cooler as well. I am stationed in Okinawa and it gets hot here and there is a lot of stop and go traffic. I need a cooler badly and am trying to find the best one I can. I have learned a lot about oil coolers in the past 2 hours of research and like I said, I have a lot of stop and go traffic so I am hoping to find one that works well in my situation. I appreciate your reply.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:50 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by migraywolf
I have an 08 Dyna Low Rider with California emissions, which means I have the charcoal canister at the bottom of the frame where normally the oil cooler would mount. I am stationed overseas and I contacted my Harley dealer back home in Michigan about ordering a cooler. He researched it and discovered that Harley says their Premium Oil Cooler will not work on my bike. I cannot remove the canister due to emission laws so does anyone out there know of another option for me? I'm sure someone in California has installed a cooler. I am just wondering who makes a top quality cooler that will work for me.
I'm confused, you have a California emission equipped bike in Michigan and you can't convert the bike to a 49 state model? First thing I would do is find another shop that has a little ingenuity as to removing or relocating the cannister, then find a discontinued Harley Davidson 10 row oil cooler kit that is made by Jagg (they usually run about $100 to $150 on eBay, info below)

Originally Posted by WS6 Formula
Removing the vapor canister:
The single hose on the right side of the bike from the vapor canister goes up under the tank and doesn't connect to anything it is just a breather hose you can just pull it out.

On the left side of the bike you have two hose's coming off of the canister. The canister is labeled carb / tank, disconnect the tank hose and follow it up the frame to a little vapor valve, remove hose from the bottom of this little vapor valve and remove the hose. This is now your 49 state tank vent, you can also get the 49 state vent hose that connects to the vapor valve and runs up under the tank, it is in the Harley parts catalog (99439-06A) item 13 on page 90 P/N 27296-04A TUBE, VALVE TO ATMOSPHERE and a retaining clip item 7 P/N 10113 CLIP, DOUBLE HOSE.

Disconnect the carb hose from the vapor canister, this line goes up the frame and under the tank to a connection behind the top left side of the air cleaner, it connects to the intake manifold, disconnect and put a cap on the port of the intake. (In the Harley parts catalog (99439-06A) on page 20 they list a cap plug item 21 P/N 90383-98 CAP PLUG, INDUCTION MODULE that might be the one to use.) This hose is difficult to remove, I took off the rubber hose from the plastic tube by the intake and pulled the hose out from the front of the tank and broke off a clip that supports a harness that comes out of the bottom of the tank, but I was able to ty-wrap that harness to another harness under the tank near the frame. If you cut the plastic tube end off that has the ridge, it will not hang up on anything and it will just slide out.

The vapor canister bracket has a clip that you depress and then the canister can slide off the bracket. Loosen the two allen head bolts that hold the bracket on to the frame, remove top bolt then rotate bracket and put the bolt back in and tighten it down, then remove lower bolt and bracket, reinstall lower bolt and tighten it down.

Harley Davidson 10 row oil cooler kit
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...il-cooler.html

Old 08-22-2009, 08:28 PM
migraywolf
Intermediate

Thanks for the info. As I stated, I am stationed in Okinawa. When I ride to work I encounter a lot of stop and go traffic and just need to find the best oil cooler that I can. I have seen my temp get as high as 256 deg. Emission laws here are strict so taking off the canister is not really an option I want to take.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:55 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by migraywolf
Thanks for the info. As I stated, I am stationed in Okinawa. When I ride to work I encounter a lot of stop and go traffic and just need to find the best oil cooler that I can. I have seen my temp get as high as 256 deg. Emission laws here are strict so taking off the canister is not really an option I want to take.
So I take it that you have to have your bike with California emission regardless of what state you bring it over from. Decide on what oil cooler you want then relocate the cannister, you can probably mount the cannister just below the oil cooler by altering the bracket or fabricating another bracket and using three longer hoses.

You can also try this place http://budsbikerparts.net/theoilbud.html and see if they have a Dyna version in the works.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:09 PM
migraywolf
Intermediate

Thanks. I will check it out.