Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Twin Cam 88 remanufacture program

Old 08-23-2009, 11:07 PM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Twin Cam 88 remanufacture program

Hey guys,
I'm a recently newer member. I have a 99 RK Police edition. Just installed the SE Cam support plate upgrade with hydraulic tensioners kit, high output oil pump, baisly spring, adj pushrods, new rocker arms, new cam chains and sprockets. The valve train noise I had has deminished greatly but still some upper end noise which I'm not completley comfortable with. I'm thinking maybe the wrist pin bushings may be a bit loose with the age/mileage.

The old RK has now got 67K+ miles on it. Was looking at the remanufacture program and thinking of getting the 95" big bore upgrade along with it. Question... I saw on HD website while looking over the reman prog particulars that they will not reinstall high perf cams if sent in with them, does anyone have a set of stock cams they want to sell cheap?

Also, was wondering about the SE Cam Support Plate upgrade which I just installed and the other parts like the Adj Pushrods, would anyone know if these parts would be reinstalled if sent in as is? They stated the HiPerf cams couldnt be reinstalled because of the pollution control laws, I dont believe the SE Cam plate intallation would affect that but still curious. I do have the original plate so I can put that in before I do the reman upgrade. Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions on this. And yes, I will speak with the local dealer, was just sitting here with nothing else to talk about atm...

One other question, why all the HD hype over special tools needed to do the installs I just completed... I mean do people actually spend 36 bucks plus tax for a 1/8" rod bent like a "P" and dipped in plasti-dip for a handle instead of bending their own to hold the tensioners back? I won't get into how rediculous I think the prices on the 'special' cam removal/installation tools could be replaced by a couple sockets and a piece of all thread w/hex nuts. Just ramblin, but would like some thoughts about the other stuff stated above.

PLEASE some one take this guy's keyboard away before he writes a novel!

Old 08-24-2009, 02:28 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

67k sounds premature for a rebuild, IMO, unless the bike was beat or or very poorly maintained.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:42 AM
CroK
Banned

I'm just obsessed with controlling the 'noise' in the upper end. It may be premature, but my wallet may be empty when it comes due, so best satisfy my OCD's about the noises or risk not having funds when it comes due.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:47 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member

You may be chasing ghosts. Lots of guys complain of upper end noise in brand new Harleys.

Mine was mouse quiet up to 52k miles. When I put in Andrews 26G cams, it got noisy. I listened to lots of people more knowledgeable than me and adjusted pushrods this way and that way, swapped lifters, and added the famous Baisley spring. Nothing quietened down the noise. That was 24k miles ago. I quit worrying about it a long time ago.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:50 AM
CroK
Banned

also, i neglected to say that i did check crank runout and got .003", as far as i have found that seems to be the limit and i like being proud of not just what i bought but what i did to create a machine which isnt embarrassing to ride in public. many harleys have more miles than mine and have been taken worse care of.

i had a friend in post high school days that actually loosened the rocker arms on his car because he believed that made it sound like it had a cam in it. i'd hate to run into him someday while riding my harley and him believing that he convinced me to do the same thing.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:57 AM
CroK
Banned

not sure if you caught that or not, but i did say i installed all this, i didnt put it in the shop for some one else to do the work. not that it matters, just trying to achieve a goal. its what gives me reason to breath these days.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:10 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member

Yeah, I read that you did the work yourself. I don't see what your goal is, though....I guess I just don't see the point of talking about rebuilds now after throwing a lot of money at parts at it recently. Why not ride it until it definitely needs a rebuild?

Old 08-24-2009, 03:46 AM
CroK
Banned

obsessive compulsive disorder, those words should be capitalized!

Old 08-24-2009, 05:37 AM
TN Houndog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

Crock,
You might have the wrong scoot if you want a quiet as a mouse engine! Harleys ARE noisy! Many cam upgrades just makes it worse. You sound like you are knowledgeable about the mechanics of an engine, and I'll ask are you hearing something that may be coming apart, or just normal top end noise? I don't ask trying to be a smart ***, but sometimes we all imagine all sorts of bad things when in reality no problem exists. Myself included! I doubt very seriously your engine is in need of a rebuild with 67K nor the wrist pins being worn out if you have even done even half assed maintainence. My advice is to step back and do a little more analytical thinking BEFORE you throw any more money at the noise! If you decide you need major repairs, a new set of jugs, pistons, wrist pin bushings and rebuilding your heads will be a whole lot cheaper than a reman engine, and you will know how it was put together!

Just MY $.002 after inflation

Old 08-24-2009, 06:44 AM
modes
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by CroK
obsessive compulsive disorder, those words should be capitalized!
I can only imagine what you r reaction would be when you installed the rebuilt motor from harley just to have it still tick with the only thing change is the amount of your hard earned money you have left.

Adam

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Twin Cam 88 remanufacture program