Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Commander

Old 08-25-2009, 08:08 PM
tlustine
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Commander

New to the topic of EFI fuel management systems.. Have an '08 Deluxe... thinking about a power commander. For anyone who has added one, what differences in performance have you noted. Any thoughts on this product vs other options?? Engine run cooler?? More HP, Torque, both?? Not cheap but, wonder if $ for $ may be best investment... ?prolong life of engine if runs cooler! Thanks in advance for any input! Anyone picked one up used?? and any problems with used vs new? Done nothing with engine mods so far to better breathe... thinking about Rush slip-ons but, for now, not much more planned.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:53 PM
Driften
Cruiser

I don't think you are going to see a lot of difference until you do stage 1 upgrades. If programmed right it should run cooler but you can do that with XiED's to richen the mix. If you plan on doing lots of mods then ordering a PC III from FuleMoto and then can download new maps as you change things.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:14 PM
mike06train
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Driften
I don't think you are going to see a lot of difference until you do stage 1 upgrades. If programmed right it should run cooler but you can do that with XiED's to richen the mix. If you plan on doing lots of mods then ordering a PC III from FuleMoto and then can download new maps as you change things.
+1. It's just to tune the fuel system. If your not making any other changes it's not worth it.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:24 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 812 Likes on 798 Posts

Most don't change the F/M till stg1 is done, U can change the pipes only and not need to do anything else...

Syn oil will cool it down some also... U didn't say how new it is either, after a few K's to brake her in she'll run cooler tooo.

Old 08-26-2009, 04:37 AM
electricstart
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

They say do stage 1 or 2 to see a difference.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:45 AM
6fthook
Advanced

I just did a stage 1 on my new to me 07 night train. Put on v&h big radius pipes, fuelmototo air cleaner, and the power commander 3. HUGE difference from stock in my opinion. Throttle response is great, sounds 100x better, and pull like a freight train especially in 3rd and 4th. The power commander is not too hard to install, pretty easy actually, as long as you get the relay bracket off without any problems (mine was stuck pretty bad). But like everyone above said, if you're not doing any other mods I'm not sure if the power commander will have any benefits. But i'm not an expert or anything.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:34 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

even with no stage 1 the pclll made a ridable difference and got rid of the heat.
when i did a stage 1 it still did not run better until i paid for a dyno tune. from the results map a canned map would still have all the weak spots. I have sense changed to a thundermax and love it because i can make changes and not pay the dyno tune price again

Old 08-26-2009, 08:09 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I ordered my PClll from FuelMoto with the map for my setup - rush mufflers and Screaming Eagle A/C. and straight from the box it runs like a scalded ape. no popping, no lags, no nothing but "git it". my mechanic says it would be a waste of my money to dyno it, it runs too well. his advice, run the chit out of it.

I went with the PClll because I knew I would eventually have different cams installed, and could go back to Jamie for the right map. except it runs so good, I'm kinda afraid of screwing that up by messing with it.

to me it wasn't a hard decision to make. I spent $18k+ on the bike, several hundred more on mufflers and A/C, it didn't make sense not to spend another $230 for a fuel management system to make it run better and cooler.

good luck with your decision.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:06 PM
Cooper08
Advanced

By far the most bang for the buck for me is slipons, Xied's and K&N replacement filter with stock airbox. I ran this way for 15,000 miles and it ran great-much better than stock. Not being able to leave well enough alone I installed a PCV with SE air filter. It has more power upper mid to top definately, but I can't get it to run as good down low as my previous setup for the life of me. And thats where I do most of my riding.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:33 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cooper08
By far the most bang for the buck for me is slipons, Xied's and K&N replacement filter with stock airbox. I ran this way for 15,000 miles and it ran great-much better than stock. Not being able to leave well enough alone I installed a PCV with SE air filter. It has more power upper mid to top definately, but I can't get it to run as good down low as my previous setup for the life of me. And thats where I do most of my riding.
i had the same thing happen when i went to pclll. the canned maps did not work so i paid for a good dyno tune and it was like having a new bike. now i dont have to worry about getting a good tune as i have the thundermax

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Commander