General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Training Wheels for Motorcycles?

Old 08-30-2009, 09:28 AM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Training Wheels for Motorcycles?

Has anyone seen these? WTF? My husband and I are leaving out of a BBQ joint yesterday afternoon and two other couples also on bikes, leave out ahead of us and the two gals riding their own have training wheels on whatever bikes they were riding and no, they most definitely were not trikes. I searched the internet and apparently there are some add ons called Ghost Wheels: http://www.trikealternative.com/ Anyone ever heard or seen something similiar? Guess whatever blows your skirt up, but damn. Training wheels?!

Edit: My husband said the gals ahead of us were 50ish; one on a road king and the other may have been on a glide. Heavier bikes than maybe they should have been on, hence the training wheels???

Last edited by GeorgiaGirl; 08-30-2009 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:36 AM
jefnightrain
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't imagine riding something like that unless you had some real physical health problems. If you ride something like that without physical health problems, than you either have to be the king of dorks or a special ed student.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:38 AM
trippy57
Cruiser

Haven't ever seen those ghost wheels before, but the retractatrike wheels are great for those with physical disabilities to be able to still ride. Know a gentleman who lost a leg below the knee in 'Nam. Has them on his goldwing as he doesn't trust the prosthetic to help hold him up at a stop. Uses linked brakes to stop so he only uses the lever on the right side to stop. I've seen others that look like trike wheels but when you look from the back you still see the rear wheel, and they REALLY look like training wheels......most retarded thing I've ever seen.......

Old 08-30-2009, 09:38 AM
Havic08
Tourer

I have seen these. We pick on a co-worker who bought a new Ninja 650 for his first bike. However the seat height is little too high and he never rides. It just sit's in his backyard. We keep telling him to get training wheel's and he will be fine.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:39 AM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

They didn't look like they had health problems but as I don't know them; can't say. Like I said, whatever blows your skirt up, but it did look strange and we all headed out going the same direction and they were moving off at a good clip ahead of us.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:45 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 967 Likes on 730 Posts

My neighbor gave me a set of training wheels for my 60th birthday, with a HD label he stuck on there. It was a joke, of course. These look serious, but I couldn't find a price on the website. They look like they would be cheaper than a trike conversion, and like jefnightrain said, might be good if one has physical limitations.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:53 AM
Shaved Ice
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

I have seen them before. Kind of a poor man's way of making a trike...or would it be a quad?

Old 08-30-2009, 11:32 AM
fastjoe
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I've seen them around, mostly on Ultras. I think people buy them as a cheaper alternative to having their bike triked. Like others mentioned if someone buys them because of a physical problem then I see no problem with them. Otherwise, they look pretty goofy.

p.s. The ones I saw weren't the ghost wheels like on that link, but something similar.

Last edited by fastjoe; 08-30-2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:32 AM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I can see where even though they look funny that they could be a benefit as well as said for folks that have a physical limitation and really doesn't want a true trike, as far for folks that don't have a physical limitation whatever floats your boat and gets you in the wind.

The only thing I would be afraid of using that system would be what happens if they don't come down or hung up on a curve, you'd fall over or crash for sure, I would think the company has done lots of R&D as this would be a product liability for sure, haven't seen one on the road yet, I first though Karen was talking about the add on conversation that you can make the bike a trike or just pull pins and make it back a standard motorcycle!!

Old 08-30-2009, 11:42 AM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It is pricey, looks like around 7K to get it installed. http://www.notatrike.com/page6.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Training Wheels for Motorcycles?