EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Ultima motor longevity

Old 09-04-2009, 08:51 PM
nzbernie
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ultima motor longevity

I am thinking of buying an Ultima 120 or 124 Bagger to put in my 88 FXR and was wondering how long these motor last as in mileage , i know they won't last as long as a stock Harley but i don't have one of those now so it isn't a corncern

Old 09-04-2009, 09:22 PM
IronButt62
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do a search on Ultima. Much info out there.

Almost at 5K on my 113" and am pushing it harder every day. It rocks.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:04 PM
50RACER
Cruiser

Spend the extra $ and buy a Jim's engine. American made. ( Not Chinese). Best quality. Ultima is not even close. The 120 makes 125 hp. Remember, you get what you pay for. Just my .02 cents.

Old 09-05-2009, 02:45 AM
Brettfullthrottle
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I hear all this talk about Ultima motors....I wouldn't mind hearing of some high milers either on this forum. How about it? Anyone out there with 50K or higher with no real problems? I have toyed with the idea of upgrading in a few years!

Old 09-05-2009, 08:15 AM
pajoe
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I knew China purchased a lot of America, but did not know MO. was now part of China. We have a little over 7500 on our Ultima 113 ( 1990 FLHTCU) and so far the only problems were problems I created as this was the first time I ever replaced an Engine in a Harley. I don't know of too many people that are tracking their Ultima via oil analysis, but mine does show a higher aluminum, and iron wear rate than the average Harley engine. It's too early to tell, it may be I do have a specific problem with my Ultima engine developing or many other reasons. If it is normal wear than it does appear the big inch Ultima engine will not go 70-100 thousand miles before the top end needs refreshing, only about half as much. Only time will tell. I doubt I would wait that long anyhow.....

The new 124 bagger engine sounds great. On our 113ci. I run a "quiet" touring exhaust, the 4"cvo mufflers with 1.75 Fullsac baffles and have not had the carb professionally tuned yet ours still developed over 100# ft torque from 2900 rpms to the rev limiter (103.96hp/114.05 torque). I know I can improve that with a 2:1 but hate to go to a louder exhaust.

The engines that cost 2 to 3 times as much may be better, and I now that Harley promotes the "Jims" engine, but for someone like me, the "made in USA" Ultima engines are the best thing out there.

Last edited by pajoe; 09-05-2009 at 08:19 AM.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:42 PM
50RACER
Cruiser

I have personally seen the Ultima rocker shafts shipped in their original box and packing, from the factory as replacement parts. I have seen fireworks and every lamp that is sold in major home improvement stores packed in the same type of box material. The rockers were packed in that heavy, smelly grease that you would probably have a hard time finding in the U.S. I wonder if they could have been packed in that grease to endure an ocean crossing? Ultima's website is very evasive about saying what is actually made and assembled here. Some parts they clearly say are made here, others there are no mention of their point of origin.The fact of the matter is, that if someone buys a HD, S&S, or Jim's motor, these types of discussions are not even there. Again, you get what you pay for.

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...tto-113-engine

Old 09-06-2009, 02:49 AM
Brettfullthrottle
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nzbernie
I am thinking of buying an Ultima 120 or 124 Bagger to put in my 88 FXR and was wondering how long these motor last as in mileage , i know they won't last as long as a stock Harley but i don't have one of those now so it isn't a corncern
If you read the original question, he was simply asking if the motor was reliable. I don't recall him asking where it was made. I agree s&s motors are fantastic,and made just two hours from my place! I know about their reliability,what I don't know about is Ultima's. That is what I believe he was asking.

Old 09-06-2009, 05:31 AM
pajoe
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

There are others that have Ultimas on these forums. I stopped posting the link to the thread because it has so many posts and most people are looking for quicker answers.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-c...el-bagger.html

If you prefer to talk with someone with a lot of experience with Ultima engines that doesn't post on these forums you could try:

SACHS RACE BIKES
1601 N.W. 99 AVENUE
PLANTATION FL 33322
954-473-2980
dynalee@bellsouth.net

He is well known at http://harleytechtalk.org/htt/index.php and has a lot of experience performing performance upgrades on Ultima engines, as well as the other brands mentioned.

On edit: Harley Tech talk does have a couple fellows with higher mileage Ultima engines, you may want to do a search there as well. I think there are more new Ultima owners on these forums, as well as more active threads about Ultima engines.

Last edited by pajoe; 09-06-2009 at 06:00 AM.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:02 AM
td17056
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had nothing but trouble with my 96 inch, it is being tore down again! New top end last year, put S&S heads and new cam and lifters as they were shot! been using oil, cylinders eggshaped bad! splitting the cases to retrue flywheels and do a total rebuild as we speak. and I don't beat on it!!!
It's in a 90 Dresser.......would I ever do it again? NO WAY!!! Got enough money in this to buy two brand new Harley motors and then some.

The way I see it.
TD

Old 09-06-2009, 05:21 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

There are indeed several contributors on HDF with Ultimas. I have a 50th anniversary S&S myself, and there are other brands available, but relatively few contributors who admit to owning any of them! So the original question is a good one, but I am not confident of finding high mileage owners on here of any brand of after-market engine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ultima motor longevity