General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

manual starter lever

Old 06-04-2009, 09:49 AM
hebbes
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default manual starter lever

Yo, Folks!

I am trying to install a "lever-action starter solenoid," JP part number 381-946, on my '67 FLH. The spring/pin/collar arrangement on the shaft is presenting a bit of an enigma, however. The instructions which came with the kit are somewhat less than helpful. The JP tekkie has been working with me on the problem; when I finally got the components arranged on the shaft in the manner which he specified, I sent him a photo. His comment was something to the effect of, "Wow, that doesn't look right!" He said he would have to check with the manufacturer, and I have yet to hear from him again.

Any ideas?

hebbes

Old 06-06-2009, 05:09 PM
Freedom
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought 68 was the first electraglide,

Old 06-07-2009, 05:59 AM
hebbes
Novice

Mine is definitely a '67. It was, I think, the last year both crank and electric starters were available. The compression is so high, however, that it is extremely difficult to foot crank. Solenoid problems on the electric side are evidently characteristic, thus my (so far unsuccessful) attempt to convert it to a manual starter actuating lever.

hebbes

Old 06-27-2009, 12:45 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

wish i could remember, used to monkey around with the kick starters a lot back in the sixties and up till the seventies, jeeze, i'm getting old, thanks for reminding me. there are still shops who can help you though. only the indys though.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:50 AM
rj55
Stage II

i am trying to wire my leaver starter solenoid and it is not working. i wired it the way the directions said to but what do i do with the factory wires on the other solenoid ? help

Old 09-07-2009, 02:57 PM
hebbes
Novice
Default Manual start lever

Just about everything you read in the instructions (if you can follow the translation from Chinese) is wrong. I had someone give me some tech help, and we had it wired up and running. Problem was, it was just a lash-up, and when I took it all apart to permanently mount the new solenoid and Bosch relay, there was a mistake in the wiring. My adviser is coming back, and I will post the information as soon as I have it.

Mounting for the new parts was, ah, a bit of a problem. I drilled and tapped holes on top of the primary housing to bolt down the solenoid. Made a good solid mount, except that it was right where the exhaust crossover pipe goes through. So now I am fabricating a bracket to mount under the battery frame on the flange which held the original relay. The solenoid and the Bosch relay should be in a good location, even somewhat protected from the weather. The battery/starter motor cables will probably have to be shortened a little bit.

The idea of the manual starter is good, but the installation instructions leave a little something to be desired.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:04 PM
shovelhed78
Stage III

Got the same part for the same reason you did, hebbes ... but have not installed it yet. I was under the impression this bolted-up to the same two holes as the original solenoid (mine's a 78 currently kick-only). Interested to hear what tips you have when its sorted out, and if you think the mod was worth it.

Bill

Old 09-10-2009, 01:51 PM
hebbes
Novice

The manual starter assembly bolts to the original (four) holes on my '67. Getting the springs and pins and washers in the right sequence on the shaft through the bellcrank is a thrill. I think I have a picture someplace of how I (hope) it is done. I'll send it if I can find it. I have to look. I have the bracket made, and the solenoid and Bosch relay mounted under the battery frame. My technical adviser is coming Saturday to straighten out the wiring again. I will send photos and a wiring diagram when it is done.

I would not recommend the JP manual starter kit to my worst enemy. Instructions are non-existent; tech help from JP leaves something to be desired, and workmanship on the device is not precisely of the highest quality. If you can return it for your money back, that would probably be the wisest course of action.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:59 PM
rj55
Stage II
Default leaver startersolenoid

i just installed the lever starter solenoid on my 79 flh . i did not have to dril any holes it fit in the same holes from the old solenoid. mak sure you run a heavy guage wire from the battery to the relay under the battery and the heavy wire to the solenoid from the starter then follow the wire diag that was sent in the dox for the relay . my starter burned up when the factory solenoide burned out so now i'm waiting on a new starter .but the wireing does work .

Old 09-11-2009, 01:17 PM
hebbes
Novice

The manual starter lever (as sold by JP) is NOT a solenoid. It mounts on to the primary housing ("primairy," according to the installation instructions). If I mentioned four screws earlier, it was a mistake on my part. I was thinking of the aluminum housing of the lever assembly. Sorry about that. It was a senior moment.
Anyway, the item is a mechanical device which pulls a shaft through the bellcrank, thus engaging the starter gear with the flywheel. At the same time, it closes an electrical contact to the Bosch relay which, in turn, completes the circuit to energize the real solenoid. The solenoid, another piece of equipment, is the heavy current relay which will engage the starter motor. It replaces the original one-piece unit which was bolted into the "primairy."
In other words, if all you have is the manual starter lever from JP, you need some more parts (look for OEM numbers on the "installation instructions,"), and you will have to figure out someplace to mount them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: manual starter lever