Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind Buffeting on Street Glide - Solved

Old 09-15-2009, 07:59 AM
Magnus
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Wind Buffeting on Street Glide - Solved

To any of you out there that feel like Alex Van Halen is playing a drum solo on your head at certain speeds, read on...

I purchased a new to me 2008 SG about 6 weeks and 1,200 miles ago. Love it! It came with an 8' windshield. (not sure the brand but it's tinted black along the bottom and clear on top. No recurve.) For what it's worth, I am 6' tall, 34 inseam, wear a half helmet and probably slouch more than I should.

Anyway, it has been fine at most speeds but between about 50 and 60, the drum solo begins. It's so violent that I could barely focus on street signs or anything. Not too safe not to mention I can't afford any brain damage, I have enough screws lose as it is. Faster than that it smoothed out and under was not so violent, but still there.

As folks have suggested, I used my hand to determine where the worst of it was coming from. I determined that the windshield was tall enough, in fact I could probably go an inch shorter or may drop a few inches and get a recurve type. The nasty stuff was coming from under the fairing.

I tried the fork baffle thing and didn't notice any difference at all. Would have sent it back but it is chrome and does look nice so it can stay.

Next I install the fairing air deflectors. Ahhh... Buffeting is gone. I've done about 100 miles of all different speeds and it's awesome. The way this bike should ride IMHO. I got the adjustable ones so on hot days I can let more air through but even with the vents open, the buffeting is much better.

I actually noticed I was going a lot faster than normal since it was so smooth. I had to keep a close eye on the speedo until I got used to it.

Typical disclaimer, worked for me, YMMV, yada-yada-yada.

Ride safe!

Old 09-15-2009, 08:09 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I installed the air deflectors and noticed an improvement also. I also have opened them on hot days to get more air on me and they work. I am comtemplating putting on the lowers but, haven't pulled the plug yet. Some here will say the buffeting stays no matter what they try, they should sell and buy a cage.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:28 AM
9Roadking9
Advanced

Hell, i thought it was all about being " in the wind " LOL

Old 09-15-2009, 08:43 AM
Magnus
Advanced

Originally Posted by 9Roadking9
I completely agree. I have had many bikes without fairings or windshields and didn't have any complaints at all with any of them. I'm just not convinced HD did much design research on the batwing.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:46 AM
Chucky
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 It's not the wind but rather the head rattling buffetting from the air coming up behind the fairing.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:54 AM
1999E-Glide
Cruiser

Who makes them and where do you get them?

Old 09-15-2009, 09:10 AM
bellgnte
Road Master

Originally Posted by 9Roadking9

It is about being in the wind but when you add a windscreen or fairing the wind is disrupted and not natural. I don't have any issues unless I have to wear my helmet and use the windscreen. I can't use his solution but I am going with the "somewhat ugly" chrome fork air deflectors. I would just like to enjoy riding it into Missouri for work......or they get rid of that stupid helmet law. They don't even have a law about the passenger being able to touch foot pegs........so I can take my 2 year old but I can't ride without a helmet? WTF?

Old 09-15-2009, 09:16 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

I paid $24k for my air deflectors and they threw the bike in for free!!!

Old 09-15-2009, 09:21 AM
bellgnte
Road Master

Originally Posted by UltraKla$$ic
I paid $24k for my air deflectors and they threw the bike in for free!!!

Now that there is funny!

Old 09-15-2009, 09:25 AM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Interesting....I had to switch to 7EYE goggles because my eyeballs would rattel so much from the wind through any type sunglasses that I had to seal my eyeballs off with goggles.

I've seen the air deflectors but always associated them with additional air cooling which I thought on a bike was silly. But if this can stop my eyeballs from ratteling out of my freeking head, you get a star! Thanks alot for the tip.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wind Buffeting on Street Glide - Solved