Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you fix a loose shifter shaft?

Old 09-26-2009, 07:49 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How do you fix a loose shifter shaft?

Either the shaft is worn, or the chrome inner primary is, or both.
The bike only has 22,000 miles on it, and the shifters are rattling around like crazy.
The splines aren't loose, it's the shaft that's moving around in the hole through the primary. I greased it once, and it does tighten it up, but not for long.
Has anyone had this problem?

Old 09-26-2009, 08:20 AM
Freebee
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a few "Fixes" floating around, ranging from cut-up beer can to O-rings.

Todd has a few tips on his site: Todds

Scroll down about half way through the page for "Fixing a Loose Shifter".

Old 09-26-2009, 09:43 AM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The play comes in from too much slop between the bushings and the shaft, (no doubt you knew that). Could be worn bushings (there are two bushings in there), or worn shaft, or both. The above post suggested cut-up beer can or o-rings. IF there is enuff play there, you could make a shim type bushing insert from cut up beer can, that's easy enuff. The o-ring idea may help for a while, but I don't think you'll get them to stay in place or last for very long. That's a temporary fix at best, unless your play is end to end movement. In that case, I think I would use a round 'washer type' shim to take up slop.

The only real fix is to replace the bushings, shaft, or both. That isn't terribly dificult either, provided you use proper method. You don't need any specialty tools, but it would be much easier if the inner primary case was removed. A shaft of the correct diameter can be used to drive the old bushings out. Then you can push/tap the new bushings in. Might want to use a small piece of aluminum scrap between the tool/hamer and the bushing to reduce damage to the new bushing. If it does happen to nick/ding the new bushing, just clean up with light sand paper or emery cloth around edges. Replace shaft if needed when replacing bushings, so you don't prematurely wear the new bushings down.

Last edited by CroK; 09-26-2009 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:47 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member

I didn't realize there were bushings in there. You're method sounds like it is probably the right thing to do. I'll probably get at it this winter. In the mean time, I might just try the beer can method for the rest of the season.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:27 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by CroK

The only real fix is to replace the bushings, shaft, or both. That isn't terribly dificult either, provided you use proper method. You don't need any specialty tools, but it would be much easier if the inner primary case was removed. A shaft of the correct diameter can be used to drive the old bushings out. Then you can push/tap the new bushings in. Might want to use a small piece of aluminum scrap between the tool/hamer and the bushing to reduce damage to the new bushing. If it does happen to nick/ding the new bushing, just clean up with light sand paper or emery cloth around edges. Replace shaft if needed when replacing bushings, so you don't prematurely wear the new bushings down.
I've looked at a inner primary take-off I had out in my shed from a buddy's bike and I can see the bushings. Looks pretty straight forward as long as I have the right tools. I have a friend that is a machinist, so I can probably get him to make me a punch the right size to push out the bushings.
You mention in the above post, I have quoted, that "it would be much easier if the inner primary case was removed".
That really is my biggest problem. Removing and reinstalling the inner primary might make removal and reinstalling the bushng easier, but it is a big PITA that may be a lot harder than the difficulty of changing them with the primary on the bike.
Unless I'm missing something, I'll try it with the primary on the bike.
I'd appreciate any insight from you on this CroK.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:36 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

You should be able to remove the shaft and have access the bushings.
Your machinist bud should be able to turn an arbor that can knock out/install the bushings.

Last edited by 1flhtk4me; 09-27-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:02 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member

Know a little about machining do you Kurt?

Old 09-27-2009, 08:29 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member

As a matter of fact,been a machinist for 32 yrs.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:38 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member

I guess you'll be getting the knack of it pretty soon then.
If you keep at it.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:44 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member

Looks like I'll have another 5 yrs. of training!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do you fix a loose shifter shaft?