General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do Harley's cost more to insure?

Old 10-13-2009, 09:58 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Do Harley's cost more to insure?

I just sold a Honda VTX 1800 and ordered a new 2010 Fatboy that should be ready in about 5-7 weeks. I was surprised to find out that Progressive wants to charge me double to insure the Fatboy. No other variables have changed other than going from an 1800 Honda to a 1600 Harley. I'm a bit conused since I was always under the impression that insurance rates were mainly tied to the size of the engine. Is it because the Fatboy costs more or is more likely to get stolen?

Old 10-13-2009, 10:38 PM
Vinsil
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went from a Ninja (650cc) to my Street bob.

I also changed companies (from Gieco to Allstate, Allstate would not insure my ninja before) and with the same coverages, my insurance went up exactly 20 dollars a year.

Shop around.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:43 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by XKnight
I just sold a Honda VTX 1800 and ordered a new 2010 Fatboy that should be ready in about 5-7 weeks. I was surprised to find out that Progressive wants to charge me double to insure the Fatboy. No other variables have changed other than going from an 1800 Honda to a 1600 Harley. I'm a bit conused since I was always under the impression that insurance rates were mainly tied to the size of the engine. Is it because the Fatboy costs more or is more likely to get stolen?
Replacement cost is a part of it, risk of theft is another. I'm sure a new Fatboy would cost way more to replace than a used VTX. I'm also certain that the risk of theft is much greater on the new Fatboy.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:54 PM
fastjoe
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

That just doesn't sound right to me. I would get a quote from someone else beside Progressive. I switched from Progressive a few years ago because they raised their rate two hundred dollars at renewal time for no reason. I hadn't had any accidents or tickets during that year. I've had Geico now for a couple years, and I'm very happy with their rates. And, no I don't work for Geico.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:06 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and the fact the honda wont be worth crap in a year while the hd will be worth just about what it cost new.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:17 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Dawson
Replacement cost is a part of it, risk of theft is another. I'm sure a new Fatboy would cost way more to replace than a used VTX. I'm also certain that the risk of theft is much greater on the new Fatboy.
I agree and believe that is precisely the reason for the price increase!

The other reason is…”because they can”; therefore they will!

Old 10-13-2009, 11:20 PM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I only pay like $29 per month for full coverage. I know crotch rockets cost a lot more to insure

Old 10-13-2009, 11:28 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fastjoe
That just doesn't sound right to me. I would get a quote from someone else beside Progressive. I switched from Progressive a few years ago because they raised their rate two hundred dollars at renewal time for no reason. I hadn't had any accidents or tickets during that year. I've had Geico now for a couple years, and I'm very happy with their rates. And, no I don't work for Geico.
Thanks! I'm definitely going to get some other quotes. I've been with Progressive for over 5 years and they have been the cheapest whenever I checked, but I guess it's time to check again. The price for my prior bike stayed constant over the years even as it got older so there was no reduction based upon it's decreasing value nor was there any increase.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:00 AM
wsktider
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just swapped from a 2006 VTX1300 to a 2007 Harley Night Train. I also have Progressive and my rate went up by $60 a year. So yeah... It costs a little more but not too bad. Other quotes may get them competing to keep your business. Not a bad idea.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:42 AM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

My 2002 VTX1800 cost identical to my 2010 Ultra Classic. I have Markel Insurance.

It is almost impossible to compare between different riders. Zip code, credit rating, age, driving record, if combined with car and house insurance. And many other factors.

I know that old men living in the mid west with high credit scores and no tickets don't pay much for any insurance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do Harley's cost more to insure?