General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Police-Seized Auctions

Old 10-29-2009, 11:37 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Police-Seized Auctions

Anybody ever been to one? Anybody ever bought anything? I'd like to have a chopper sometime, just to play around on. Probably wouldn't be able to ride very far on one so I'd wanna keep my EG Classic, but just wondered if you could practically "steal" one, at one of these auctions. If I could find a $25K Big Dog for $10K, or something like that, I might go for it.

Also, how do you find out about these auctions? I joined a "free membership" website, but to get any real info, ya have to pay a monthly or annual membership fee. Don't wanna throw away money on something that might not give me good info anyway, if you get my drift.

Any police officer input on this one? Thanks.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:56 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 306 Likes on 178 Posts

Like most auctions how much stuff goes for depends on who is there and how bad they want it. Don't get caught up in a bidding war and you could be OK.
Around here the auctions are advertised, check with the county impound yard and see where they send them.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:45 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 614 Likes on 383 Posts

Good advice above. Know average retail pricing, so you don't overpay.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:50 PM
SlowRain
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Really depends on where you live and what the state laws are concerning seized vehicles. Where I was when I was an LEO if you used your vehicle as a part of transporting illegal drugs for distribution, the vehicle was seized and became property of the law enforcement agency to do with as they pleased. Needless to say premium vehicles were kept and we traded around the state to other agencies for what they might have because locally the seized vehicle was burned. We used these vehicles to support undercover operations.

The vehicles we didn't want were auctioned off in "as is condition" and sometimes a bargain could be found...but honestly most of them were pretty trashed.

Another place to look is when they auction off repo's. A lot of 2nd and 3rd tier car dealers pick up inventory at them...and usually they have a day or two designated where you can go review the vehicles. You are almost at an advantage because dealers are only going to bid a figure high enough to get the vehicle and have to still allow a margin to fix whatever is wrong and still turn a profit. On the other hand you might be figuring what the vehicle is worth to you personally...and that is usually a bit higher. Bikes are repo'ed as well...however a lot of what you are going to see are sport bikes, etc. Still, it never hurts to check.

Just sayin.

Last edited by SlowRain; 10-29-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:58 PM
gill
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Slow rain hit the nail on the head. I work for a police fleet dept. and if it makes it to the auction you really don't want it. The good vehicles get used for undercover and even when a decent ride makes to the auction block it doesn't go as cheap as you think because local dealers drive up the price. (at least around here) You would do better a bank repo auction.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:09 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member

Thanks SlowRain & gill. Makes sense. Craig's List & Ebay kinda scare me for buying something like this. I'll send out some feelers here locally, and see what I can find for a bank repo.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:26 PM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

So, because they never auction off the seized dope, does that mean the cops keep it all for themselves? They must have some pretty good Christmas and retirement parties.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:05 PM
oldschoolmedic
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another place you can pick up repos is the loan companies that offer local financing. They will go out on a limb to finance people who will obviously default. The company is stuck with the vehicle when it gets repo'd. They will usually let it go for the remainder of the payoff.

An example, last year I was making a loan payment and looked at the merchandise for sale bulletin board. They had 2006 Kia for $2500. It was on site and clean with average miles. The 23% interest rate had caught up with the original buyer. The company was letting it go for payoff.

Just keep your eyes open, there are deals to be had everywhere.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:41 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by oldschoolmedic
Another place you can pick up repos is the loan companies that offer local financing. They will go out on a limb to finance people who will obviously default. The company is stuck with the vehicle when it gets repo'd. They will usually let it go for the remainder of the payoff.

An example, last year I was making a loan payment and looked at the merchandise for sale bulletin board. They had 2006 Kia for $2500. It was on site and clean with average miles. The 23% interest rate had caught up with the original buyer. The company was letting it go for payoff.

Just keep your eyes open, there are deals to be had everywhere.
Also not a bad idea. If anybody hears about a chopper that I can get for the payoff, lemme know! Looking for a stretched one, like a Big Dog K9 or Ridgeback, or something with that look.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:43 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 614 Likes on 383 Posts

I recently bought a repo bike through a highline car dealer. The dealer has an interesting business model. They buy repos from banks and other lenders and then resell them for less than what a HD dealer might charge. I paid $11,700 for an '07 Softail Custom with only 461 miles! It's hard to believe the dealer made money, but ask me if I care.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Police-Seized Auctions