Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Bob Rear Fender

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 08:18 AM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Fat Bob Rear Fender

A couple people have PMed me about my fender. I tried to retrieve one of my replies to copy & paste it to some one else. The replies to PM's aren't in my User CP so I thought I'd post this for easier reference.

How I Made My Fat Bob Fender:

I got two Dyna fenders off of eBay.
I cut one down the center & bolted each half to the frame struts. From the other I cut a 3” wide strip from the center, saddled it over the halves & tack welded it in place. The assembly was removed and more welds were added and ‘knocked down’ with a sander. The seams were covered with fiber-glass and smoothed out with bondo.

The fender was then ready for a test fit. A scissors jack was used to replicate a 2” drop which revealed that the front & bottom parts of the fender had to be trimmed to clear the swing arm, master cylinder & upper belt guard. The bike currently rides on 1.75" lowering blocks with the fork tubes slid up the trees 1".

A Run/Stop/Turn Module modifies the stock turn signals into running lights, stop lights & turn signals. I got electrical connectors to make a short wiring harness for plugging in the lengthened signal wires & license plate light, which is lit off of the original tail light circuit & runs through an on/off toggle switch mounted above the coil.

Last edited by 08fxdf43202; 07-09-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:02 AM
Dirsuper
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn bro, You could sell those fenders!

Old 11-04-2009, 09:52 PM
stic2it
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirsuper
Damn bro, You could sell those fenders!

That what I said, the number of people here on the forum looking for a replacement fender for the fatbob is crazy. With no one producing the fender, it means no other competition. I personally like my fatbob rear fender, just don't like the light. Wish the tribar wasn't trash!

Old 11-04-2009, 10:55 PM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior
Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by 08fxdf43202
A couple people have PMed me about my fender. I tried to retrieve one of my replies to copy & paste it to some one else. The replies to PM's aren't in my User CP so I thought I'd post this for easier reference.

How I Made My Fat Bob Fender:

I got two Dyna fenders off of eBay. The hole spacing on the donor fenders & my Fat Bob were the same.
I cut one down the center & bolted each half to the frame struts. From the other I cut a 3” wide strip from the center, saddled it over the halves & tack welded it in place.
More tack welds were added (1” apart) and ‘knocked down’ with a sander. The seams were covered with fiber-glass and smoothed out with bondo.

The fender was then test fitted to the bike. A scissors jack was used to replicate a 2” drop which revealed that the front & bottom parts of the fender had to be trimmed to clear the swing arm, master cylinder & upper belt guard. The bike currently rides on 1.75" lowering blocks with the fork tubes slid up the trees 1".

A Run/Stop/Turn Module modifies the stock turn signals into running lights, stop lights & turn signals. I got electrical connectors from the dealer to make a short wiring harness for plugging in the lengthened signal wires & license plate light, which is lit off of the original tail light circuit & runs through an on/off toggle switch mounted above the coil.
The donor fender was from an older model which had ‘bendable’ metal tabs welded to the underside for securing the signal wires. I used some fender material to replicate a couple more tabs as needed.

Stock Dyna strut covers will not work with Fat Bob shocks... I like the look of the shocks more than the covers.
The paint is from a rattle can of Barbeque Black... which isn't an exact match.
I traded electrical covers & upper belt guards with a Street Bob buddy.

why not re-use fatbob strut covers?

Old 11-05-2009, 12:00 AM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stic2it
That what I said, the number of people here on the forum looking for a replacement fender for the fatbob is crazy. With no one producing the fender, it means no other competition. I personally like my fatbob rear fender, just don't like the light. Wish the tribar wasn't trash!
I didn't know that the Tri-bar light that has been in my Harley for over a year now, working flawlessly rain or shine is trash. Well, I guess I know now. But it sure fills the cavern shape of the rear fender much better than the stock light does.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:10 AM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by INJEKTER
why not re-use fatbob strut covers?
The Fat Bob covers are longer than the struts.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:24 AM
cmace
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to say man, that is one bad looking fender. I had already told my wife that over the winter, I was going to chop my fenders. I mean almost the same idea too... other than I was going to bring my further up toward the seat latch. But yours REALLY look great!

Old 11-05-2009, 07:50 AM
CRZYLGZZ
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wait...are those stock tires... cause not for nothin, your MOD makes your rear end look Huge...I mean i know photos can change appearances but man, they look fat..i mean real fat..

if your gonna start creating these MODS at home, Lemme know.

Im down to ride out to you, and be a PAdawan and learn. this is a great friggin MOD.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:23 AM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Centerline
I didn't know that the Tri-bar light that has been in my Harley for over a year now, working flawlessly rain or shine is trash. Well, I guess I know now. But it sure fills the cavern shape of the rear fender much better than the stock light does.
yes u did.................you have responded to past posts about it? you r one of the lucky ones in respect to that assembly staying intact.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:25 AM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 08fxdf43202
The Fat Bob covers are longer than the struts.
would it be a major chore to cut and shape the FatBob struts so that they fit ? then just powdercoat them?

Quick Reply: Fat Bob Rear Fender