Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screamin Eagle Performance Clutch Question

Old 11-14-2009, 04:11 PM
shrinemotorman
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Screamin Eagle Performance Clutch Question

I am in the process of installing a Screamin Eagle Performance Clutch KIt (37969-03a) on my 2007 FLHTCU and need to know if the damper spring and damper spring seat should be left out when I replace the 9 friction disks and 8 plates. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:42 PM
shrinemotorman
6th Gear
Default Damper Spring 2007 FLHTCU

I would have thought that at least one person on the forum had installed the Screamin eagle clutch kit and could say:
1) Yes.... I did put the clutch damper spring back in with the new friction discs and steel plates
or
2) No... I did NOT put the clutch damper spring back in with the new friction discs and steel plates

Thanks.

"Vereor Haud Malum"

Old 11-15-2009, 03:01 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,945 Likes on 1,705 Posts

Well, would it help where the instruction sheet for that kit states this:

The nine friction discs and eight spacer discs in this kit
replace the original eight friction discs, six spacer discs,
damper spring and damper spring seat.

Old 11-15-2009, 03:17 PM
shrinemotorman
6th Gear

What is confusing about the instructions is just what you have below:
"The nine friction discs and eight spacer discs in this kit
replace the original eight friction discs, six spacer discs,
damper spring and damper spring seat." I did read the instructions and the service manual for my 2007, which has has in the illustration and text as having nine friction discs and eight spacer disc plus the damper spring and damper spring seat. So it is not eight discs and six spacer discs that come out But nine and eight plus the damper spring and damper spring seat." I think the eight and six may refer to non-Twin cam engine year(s) since this kit is used for both. If I only had eight discs and six spacer discs, I would assume that I leave out the damper spring and seat, but this is not the case.
I guess I will have to just measure what comes out with what I put in to determine if I need to leave the damper out. Thanks anyway.

Old 11-15-2009, 03:28 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Like Dawg said, pull everything out of the stock setup and replace with only what's in the kit per the instructions. Your service manual isn't going to accurately represent what you have now since it's not a stock setup anymore.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:44 PM
shrinemotorman
6th Gear

Thanks, matrix5. I do plan on pulling everything out and only putting the nine discs and eight spacers from the Screamin eagle kit back in. And I will measure the height of what came out with what is going back in. And by the way, Dawg never wrote to pull everything out of the stock setup and replace with what's in the kit per instructions. He wrote"The nine friction discs and eight spacer discs in this kit
replace the original eight friction discs, six spacer discs,damper spring and damper spring seat." This info was not correct for my 2007 and it comes right out of the instruction sheet which is somewhat misleading. I appreciate your reply. It was helpful.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:07 PM
hogwash
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dawg clearly gave you the answer...

Old 11-15-2009, 05:29 PM
shrinemotorman
6th Gear

Hogwash,
You must not have anything better to do than make useless comments. I was trying to get a valid answer to a legitimate question. 8 does not equal nine and 6 does not equal eight. But perhaps you could enlighten me with some of your words of wisdom and explain how 8=9 and 6=8... I had asked a simple yes or no question.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:53 PM
bigjimhp
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Give a stealer a call, or call your local indy they should have some info quite sure they should have done a few. Thats your best bet. Good Luck

Old 11-20-2009, 06:08 PM
shrinemotorman
6th Gear
Default Leave out damper spring with Screamin Eagle Clutch kit

I installed the Screamin Eagle Clutch kit and did not install the damper spring and damper seat with the 9 friction discs and 8 plates. I also installed the Screamin Eagle Diaphragm Spring with the kit for a better bite. The clutch now works great... No slipping and changing gears is smoother. Hopefully, anyone who has the same question as I did about the damper spring and damper seat will find this information useful. Thanks.

The following 2 users liked this post by shrinemotorman:
Angel Espinoza (02-28-2020), chickenhauler (01-20-2020)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Screamin Eagle Performance Clutch Question