Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Bob for short rider

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 10:44 PM
gseely
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fat Bob for short rider

I am seriously considering buying a Fat Bob, but I'm only 5'5". My Nightster with forward controls fits me perfectly, but I REALLY like the Fat Bob.

The only Fat Bob they have at the local dealer has a standard seat and forward-mounted controls.

I can get both feet flat on the ground, but it's a bit of a stretch. The forward-mounted controls are so far forward, though, it's a real strain to reach them -- so much so that I wonder if they might be dangerous for me. I'm thinking about ordering the bike with mid-mounted controls and a Reach seat, but I'd appreciate hearing the opinions of other short people about this bike before I do.

I presume that mid-mounted controls will help. What about the Reach seat? Has anyone tried that? Are you comfortable riding the bike? Has anyone had experience with both the Fat Bob and the Nightster.

Thanks for your help!

Old 12-08-2009, 05:03 AM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't know @ the seat... sounds like a good idea along with the mids for a 5/5 rider.
You could also lower the suspension.

Old 12-08-2009, 05:06 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gseely
I'm thinking about ordering the bike with mid-mounted controls and a Reach seat
Man mid controls would completely negate the use of a reach seat. I'm 5'10 so the forwards are great,my knees are even bent a litle. If you already sat on one at the H-dealer then you knowyou won't be comfortable flying down the highway struggling to keep your feet on the pegs.
IMO you should order with mid pegs and throw some highway pegs on there for longer rides.

Old 12-08-2009, 05:31 AM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by maddghost
Man mid controls would completely negate the use of a reach seat. I'm 5'10 so the forwards are great,my knees are even bent a litle. If you already sat on one at the H-dealer then you knowyou won't be comfortable flying down the highway struggling to keep your feet on the pegs.
IMO you should order with mid pegs and throw some highway pegs on there for longer rides.
Can you get the 10 with mids or foward controls only?

Old 12-08-2009, 05:46 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 5-7 with short legs and arms. Equipped with mids and lepara bare bones up front the Fat Bob fits me very well. The upfront pushes me closer to the bars and allows my feet to be flat on the ground without any suspension mods. Others here have installed the HD 6 inch pull back riser to help with the handlebar reach. Knees have a comfortable bend. I also put highway pegs in the stock forwards control position. I don't use them as my legs just don't reach there comfortably, but that may be because I come off 15 years of sport bikes so any feet forward position feels strange to me.

There were awhile ago a couple 5-5 or so ladies in the list that had no problem. The lepara is not the most comfortable seat, but I like the riding position, and throw a air cushion on for 2+ hour rides.

I don't know if you can get an 2010 with mids. They were relatively rare late in 09 and relatively common earlier. I think the 08 came from the factory with mids and the parts for the forwards..

Last edited by ColdCase; 12-08-2009 at 05:50 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:06 AM
Joe477
Tourer

You could save some money and just get a pair of these.....that's how I roll

Old 12-08-2009, 08:51 AM
gseely
Cruiser
Default Le Pera Bare Bones Up-Front Seat vs. Reach Seat

Originally Posted by ColdCase
I'm 5-7 with short legs and arms. Equipped with mids and lepara bare bones up front the Fat Bob fits me very well. The upfront pushes me closer to the bars and allows my feet to be flat on the ground without any suspension mods. Others here have installed the HD 6 inch pull back riser to help with the handlebar reach. Knees have a comfortable bend. I also put highway pegs in the stock forwards control position. I don't use them as my legs just don't reach there comfortably, but that may be because I come off 15 years of sport bikes so any feet forward position feels strange to me.

There were awhile ago a couple 5-5 or so ladies in the list that had no problem. The lepara is not the most comfortable seat, but I like the riding position, and throw a air cushion on for 2+ hour rides.

I don't know if you can get an 2010 with mids. They were relatively rare late in 09 and relatively common earlier. I think the 08 came from the factory with mids and the parts for the forwards..
Thanks for your help. Does the Le Pera seat put you lower and closer to the bars than the Reach seat?

Old 12-08-2009, 09:54 AM
Phrogman
Road Warrior

Unfortunately, they discontinued the option to get mid controls on the Fat Bob for 2010. You could probably find a used one from 08/09 that still has them or has been converted from forward to mids.

Other than that, your main option would be to convert a '10 to mids. You'd have to order all the stock parts from an '09, but you could do it.

Other than that, get a Street Bob instead with mids. You can always put a fat front tire on a Street Bob, probably cheaper than putting mids on a new Fat Bob.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:00 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior

You sit between and inch or two lower than the stock seat... but on the other hand you loose and inch or so of padding... it was a good trade off for me.

From what I recall when I looked at them, I don't think the reach seat is much, if any lower than stock. It does push you an inch or two forward toward the bar and controls, about the same as the Le Pera up front.

I'll try to find the comparison measurements this evening. There was a thread here maybe a year ago.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:15 AM
gseely
Cruiser
Default Le Pera Barebones Up-front seat

Thanks for your help. It is much appreciated.

Quick Reply: Fat Bob for short rider