Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

removing rear fender struts, or replacing with shorter ones?

Old 12-10-2009, 12:06 PM
stonewall308
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing rear fender struts, or replacing with shorter ones?

I am going to bob my rear fender, and the struts are kind of getting in the way of what I am thinking about doing.

Any advice or know-how on how to remove them, what parts will I need to reattach the rear suspension springs, etc.?

Also, I have looked but I can't find any replacement struts that are shorter. Anyone know if these exist?

Old 12-10-2009, 12:19 PM
fox4
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you talking about the rear fender struts that the fender, turn signals, and shocks bolt up to? If so, when bobbing the rear fender most cut the rear fender strut until the bolt right after the rear shocks. This gives a place to bolt the fender and the turn signals to. Most leave the rear fender strut covers off as they would need some modifications to go back on. As far as tools you'll need some torx head bits and wrenches to get the fender off, and a grinder with a metal cutting blade to do the hacking.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:58 PM
kahaone
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The struts are part of the frame, not a seperate part. So, all you can do is cut them shorter, and then ditch the "chrome" cover, like said above.
There really isn't any "replacement" struts" made, since it is part of the frame. My wide tire kit came with replacement struts, but that is only because they needed the extra width.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:42 PM
stonewall308
Tourer

Sorry, I meant replacing the fender strut covers with shorter ones.

I'm not really keen on cutting up my frame. Is this pretty standard?

Old 12-10-2009, 02:02 PM
fox4
Road Master

Originally Posted by stonewall308
Sorry, I meant replacing the fender strut covers with shorter ones.

I'm not really keen on cutting up my frame. Is this pretty standard?
I've never seen shorter covers... doesn't mean you couldn't make them though. You might be able to take your covers to a metal fabricator and explain what you want. I'm sure they could work with you.

For most people that want to bob the fender more than what comes stock on the nightster/iron, yes cutting the frame rails is pretty standard. If they didn't the fender struts would stick out past the end of the fender. Some people even cut the fender struts all the way off to where the shocks mount up, but then you have to fab something up to hold the fender in place, which usually connects the fender to the swing arm. Then you can run shocks and a super low fender.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:17 PM
Dlish
Cruiser

how short do you want to go with the fender? you can keep the struts as they are and get a good bit of fender off. This was how mine looked a while ago without cutting the struts. If you want to go shorter and cut the struts, I think it looks good without the covers. Careful about cutting though...it gets addicting.

Name:  DSC02986.jpg
Views: 11888
Size:  105.0 KB

Name:  DSC02982.jpg
Views: 8253
Size:  91.9 KB

Old 12-10-2009, 08:55 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Your rear frame rail/fender struts are as long as the chrome covers...you'll need to shorten both.

I cut mine...all they are are extensions to support the fender.

Dlish & Oldschool83 both have bobbed fenders with stock length fender struts. I'm divided between the look though. Dlish's looks good without em but I think yours would look cool with chrome covers.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:44 AM
Dlish
Cruiser

Also keep in mind the fender struts help hold up a passenger too, do you ride 2up?

Old 12-11-2009, 09:47 AM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

hey stonewall, do you want to keep the 2-up seat?.. please let us know exactly what you want to accomplish... are you going with a rigid read suspension? if you want to keep your 2-up seat and shocks... then I don't believe a bobbed fender will look good... unless you are planning on switching to a solo seat and mostly ride solo.. there are many different rear fender mods here... from just chopping the rear of the fender (like Dlish) to rigid -shorten struts - low/bobbed fender (like MREED / Slackster) to fender less - very short struts (like me)

Old 12-11-2009, 11:33 AM
dirty keith
Intermediate

My bike had removeable fender struts. Its a 93 though they just bolted on to the frame. I took them off chopped the fender and just mounted the fender to the frame. I have had no problems with this I have even had a passenger on several occasions. Are the new frames that much different?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: removing rear fender struts, or replacing with shorter ones?