Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How exactly to throwover saddle bags work?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 07:05 PM
rdown1976
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How exactly to throwover saddle bags work?

Any down side to them? Does the strap just run under the seat to secure?

Old 12-28-2009, 07:18 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The "yoke" or the part between the bags will typically go under the seat and they will usually have a few small tie downs that are tied to the bottom shock mounts.The down dide is they will eventually scratch or wear your paint.They also don't work real well if you don't have a two up seat to clamp them down.I have heard of someone using the rear seat bolt on a solo to secure them . The bottom line is the more they can move around the more they can damage the finish on your bike.This has just been my experiance with them as usual your milage may vary.I'm sure someone will chime in to tell you they've had em for X amount of years and they're paint is still fine etc.etc..

Old 12-28-2009, 07:26 PM
rdown1976
Tourer

Thanks for the feedback....def. dont want anything rubbing on the bike. That was my concern without the brackets

Old 12-28-2009, 07:34 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I like the idea of throw overs because I don't need bags all the time. I'm not crazy about the look with bags but I hated the Idea of brackets and relocating my turn signals. My solution was to mount the bags to an aluminum frame that goes under the seat. It keeps the bags off the bike and when I remove it there is nothing left behind. The best way to describe it is to imagine a piece of aluminum about 10 in. that goes over the rear fender in an inverted u shape with the bags bolted to it.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:56 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put a piece of a sheepskin washing mitt between the yoke and fender tightened the seat down on it and it worked good to keep the paint from scratching. I had a detachable back rest on the bike with the leather yoke going over the top of them and keeping it away from the paint on the sides of the fender.

I don't have the bike anymore but you can see a piece of the sheepskin and how it went over the side plates in this pic.

Attached Thumbnails How exactly to throwover saddle bags work?-2008-11-23-09-32-15.jpg  
Old 12-28-2009, 09:18 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by BoomerBob
I put a piece of a sheepskin washing mitt between the yoke and fender tightened the seat down on it and it worked good to keep the paint from scratching. I had a detachable back rest on the bike with the leather yoke going over the top of them and keeping it away from the paint on the sides of the fender.

I don't have the bike anymore but you can see a piece of the sheepskin and how it went over the side plates in this pic.
Good idea, thanks. I know you don't have it anymore, but that was a pretty bike.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:35 PM
rdown1976
Tourer

I would only use the bags about 30% of the time when I ride.....might be good then for me

Old 12-28-2009, 11:26 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I put the yoke over the seat the one time I used them. Kept them off the fender and worker ok. with out the support brackets they rubbed the paint off the chain guard and hit the caliper.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:46 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by clicker01
Good idea, thanks. I know you don't have it anymore, but that was a pretty bike.
Thanks. There are many times when I wish I would have kept it instead of trading it in for a Night Train but sometimes my desire for something keeps me from thinking straight. Oh well. I'm happy with the NT.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:00 AM
rdown1976
Tourer

which brackets can you use with the throwovers? it appears that the easybracket's can only be installed if you relocate your turn sigs

Quick Reply: How exactly to throwover saddle bags work?