Panhead A place to talk about Panhead motors.

65 Pan setting points and timing

Old 07-17-2006, 10:08 PM
kdm
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 65 Pan setting points and timing

After more than a year and several thousand dollars, my brother got his 65 Electra Glide FLH back. not running and minus his shop manual. New manual has been ordered but it is very painful to watch him look at his bike in my garage. I am an auto mechanic trying to trouble shoot this no start motorcycle. Help is definitely in order. He was told that points had been set but not timing but after seeing other flaws all is in doubt. Seems to me like a timing or point problem. Is there a web site with instructions on stabbing dist, setting points and timing? Here is my concept of how this should be done.... Point rider at high point of dist lobe, gap at .020...Test lamp on positive point side, dist shaft turned clockwise till stops. Turn timing assy until points close and circuit is grounded. tighten timing assy. Seems like it is trying to start but wont. both plugs getting spark. fuel is there and so is compression. Of course starter was not rebuilt as promised so legs are getting tired. Prompt help may prevent cross country trip to choke cousin and son who did most of the work.

Kerry

Old 07-17-2006, 10:30 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: 65 Pan setting points and timing

Kerry.......Ironheads are my speciality, but I may be able to help you out some with regards to the panhead ignition/timing issues you have. I have the factory manual section (10 pages) on this subject.
I cannot attach this here on the forum, but if you email me with your request I will be glad to scan the pages and send it to you as a PDF file attachment to a return email. Just let me know............piniongear wb_perry@yahoo.com

Old 07-18-2006, 04:45 PM
rigidpanman
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

beautiful ironhead

Old 07-18-2006, 04:56 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks ridgidpanman......Yes, I was pretty pleased with the restoration I did. If you are curious about how it looked when I started, go over to Bike of the Month contest and click on my gallery. A member nominated my bike and after that was seconded it was entered. Surprised me to say the least.