Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick Review with pictures: Milwaukee Bagger Two-Up Detachable Tour Pak Rack

Old 01-03-2010, 01:57 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Quick Review with pictures: Milwaukee Bagger Two-Up Detachable Tour Pak Rack

NOTE: The Milwaukee Bagger two-up detachable tour pak rack is for '97-'08 Touring Models.

NOTE 2: Since my purchase and installation, MB has modified the use of this rack to chopped or razor tour paks only; exluding the King tour pak. I've emailed Nick, the owner of MB, asking for detail on the exclusion of the King tour pak. 5/4/10.

Milwaukee Bagger recently (past several months) released a new two-up detachable tour pak rack that uses HD's forward (passenger backrest/solo detachable tour pak rack) mounting hardware instead of HD's two-up mounting hardware that is distinguishable by the chrome hoops that stick out the back of the bike. Here's a link to the rack:

http://www.milwaukeebagger.com/MB_00...2%20dtpm-c.htm

It's also available in black, and with HD's locking latches in lieu of the regular HD latches.

This is a review of the product regarding its installation primarily since I have limited mileage with it on the bike. I can say it feels very secure if you try to shove it fore/aft, up/down or side to side, and the 100 mile New Year's Day ride I took showed no issues regarding stability.

Here are some pictures of the rack installed on my bike (2004 Electra Glide Police Model--though any '97-'08 Touring model would be the same).

The first shot shows the rack and the HD forward mounting hardware it uses. The current part no. for the hardware is 53803-06:

http://

MB supplies the rack with HD's detachable latches; my installation uses the HD locking latches.

This is a picture from below showing the tour pak mounted using the most rearward of the tour pak's two mounting locations:

The rack has three pairs of pre-drilled holes that permit moving the tour pak rearward in addition to the options molded into the tour pak itself. I used the most forward of the pre-drilled pairs, so there is approximately another two inches of rearward travel available if you need it. I didn't measure the distance between the most forward and most rearward of the pairs, but will try to remember to do so and post the information later.

This picture shows the tour pak's relative location fore and aft in relation to the tail light lens, as well as its height relative to the tail light (but remember, I used the most forward of the three pairs of mounting holes in the rack so there is more rearward room available) . I seldom ride with a passenger, so passenger room is essentially irrelevant for me, but others interested in the product can use the picture to compare it to a tour pak's location when using the OEM fixed rack, HD's two-up rack, and the various tour pak relocation kits available.

MB doesn't include a chrome U-tube for mounting between the tour pak and the rack as HD does for its detachable tour pak racks. Also, the U-tube is not available for separate purchase from HD. I bought a used chrome bracket that is OEM on EG Ultras and EG Classics (p/n 53801-98), measured the HD U-tube on my HD solo detachable tour pak rack to determine where to cut-off the forward portion of the bracket, and cut-off the excess material to replicate HD's U-tube. I'll pick-up some black caps to cover the open ends of the tube since the black caps HD uses aren't available as a separate sale item.

As this picture shows (and confirmed by opening and closing the saddlebags), there is more than enough room to open and close the saddlebag lids even if the U-tube is not used:

http://]

For some passengers, the height of the tour pak may be relevant for their comfort. I include this picture to show only that the U-tube isn't necessary to provide clearance for opening and closing the saddlebags. When I tried to omit the U-tube when installing my Mutazu tour pak on the HD solo detachable tour pak rack, there was no way there was adequate clearance, so the U-tube was installed. (I was trying for a lower mounting with the solo rack to see if it would serve as a backrest for me.) So, (based on my experience with the solo rack) I was predisposed to using a U-tube (albeit fabbed from an OEM permanent rack), but I may remove the tube for a lower height though cosmetically and operationally the change would have borderline relevance to me. If I was assembling the rack now, I'd forego the tube; there is plenty of surface area provided by the rack and the metal plate in the bottom of the tour pak for the tour pak to be used with four screws/bolt/etc. securing the tour pak to the rack instead of the five used with
HD's detachable rack.

This last picture is to show the position of the tour pak relative to the fender screw mounting hole for those using a two-up seat. The earlier picture showing the bottom of the tour pak relative to the license plate does the same thing (probably better), but this may also be useful.

As mentioned earlier, MB's current two-up detachable rack replaces an earlier version. I purchased and used the earlier version and it worked fine for me. This rack is different in that it uses HD detachable latches; the pre-drilled holes in the rack match perfectly the holes pre-drilled in HD's tour pak; and, it was designed for the '97-'08 HD Touring model fender whereas the earlier version was designed for a wider, MB fender and the rack needed a slight pinching in of its contact points to mount on my bike. None of these were problems; I simply preferred to have the HD latches of the new version, rather than the latch mechanism of the earlier version. My installation of the earlier version is described in this thread:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...on-w-pics.html

Give Nick Tritti, MB's owner, a call. He's a very helpful guy. He shipped my rack just as he was leaving for a family Christmas trip; the rack was packed great for shipping; and, arrived promptly. Excellent customer service all around.

I don't anticipate any problems long-term with this tour pak rack. Admittedly, the MB rack costs a bit more than the HD two-up detachable rack and its required hardware. HD's mounting hardware (p/n 53803-06) lists for $41.95; and, the HD two-up rack (p/n 53276-04) lists for $179.95, for a total list price of $221.90. The MB rack lists for $300.00. For me, not having the chrome hoops sticking out the back of my bike was worth the additional cost of the MB rack, especially since I only have the tour pak on the bike for extended trips.

Bottom line: it's a fine product, no drilling required, chrome is excellent, installs at least as easily as the HD racks (I've had both), MB's customer service has been superb, and I'd recommend the product to anyone who doesn't want HD's mounting hardware on their bike spoiling the rear of the bike when the tour pak isn't on the bike.

EDIT: If I could, I'd delete the word "quick" from the title of this thread. Apologies to those were expecting a shorter post.

EDIT: Since my original post, MB has excluded fitment for the King Tour Pak. I asked Nick about this and he told me the vendor supplying the rack was concerned about use of King TP's that were overloaded, though what that is was not detailed. I asked if he'd heard of any failure of the rack and he said he hadn't. I don't have a luggage rack on the TP and I haven't travelled any substantial distance with a passenger. I have loaded the rack with excessive weight (i.e. imagine a tour pak filled to capacity with 12 oz. cans of beer/2 liter bottles of soft drinks) w/o any problems.

Last edited by Harleypingman; 04-06-2011 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:12 PM
mslater741
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the excellent review ...exactly what i was looking for, i will be purchasing one too

Old 01-03-2010, 02:16 PM
ddm502001
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Looks to be using the same docking points as the Moco passenger sissybar/backrest, am I correct on this?

Old 01-03-2010, 02:31 PM
mslater741
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes...that way you dont have the " hoop" docking point sticking above your fender

Old 01-03-2010, 02:36 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 142 Posts

Had the same idea, but am going to have a friend help me make my own, glad to see the idea works well though. I used to have the Harley one on my RKC but didn't want the hoops on my SG.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:13 PM
marvincbr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

What is the "U" shaped tube that is between the tour pack and the chrome MB mount? I don't see that on the MB website. I just ordered one and am wondering did I miss a part. Thanks,

Old 01-03-2010, 03:45 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

If you read the text after the second picture, you'll read that the MB rack doesn't come with a U-tube. If you read further, you'll read that if I did the installation again, I'd omit the U-tube since it's not needed for clearance to open and close saddlebags or, IMO, structural strength. I used the U-tube only because HD uses them with their detachable tour pak kits, not because it was required for the MB rack.

Carl

Old 01-03-2010, 04:11 PM
NCTim
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HarleyPingman,

Great Pictures! You answered my questions about how far back the tour pack sits (I have a George Anderson relocator, and based on your pix, I can see that it's possible to get the same position that I currently have.

Now, what does the back of the bike look like with the tour pak removed? I'm overthinking the license plate placement, and it looks like you changed rear lights to mount it beneath the tail light. Whose parts did you use (part numbers)?

Are you planning to remove the grab bar (the horizontal chrome loop that the license plate used to mount to)?

I'm just trying to figure out how clean the look will be after I do this.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:45 PM
marvincbr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
If you read the text after the second picture, you'll read that the MB rack doesn't come with a U-tube. If you read further, you'll read that if I did the installation again, I'd omit the U-tube since it's not needed for clearance to open and close saddlebags or, IMO, structural strength. I used the U-tube only because HD uses them with their detachable tour pak kits, not because it was required for the MB rack.

Carl
Crap! Sorry, my tunnel vision got the best of me. I was only looking at the pictures. Just dropped over a grand with the parts and pieces for the chopped tour pack and saw your pics and was worried I missed something. Thanks for you time and effort helping with pics and all.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

The rear of my bike is essentially identical (except for color) as an '06 Street Glide:

I replaced the OEM Electra Glide tail light/turn signal parts with the Street Glide parts which HD sells as p/n 53702-04A, Bullet Turn Signal and License Plate Relocation kit. There are less costly ways to accomplish the same purpose (e.g. bullet turn signals from RK Custom and other HD models with Softbrake license plate relo kit).

Personally, I believe if removing the chrome support tube wouldn't adversely effect the bike, HD wouldn't put it on the bike in the first place--why spend the money to produce and install a part that has zero effect on the bike.

Also, when the bike was repainted in April 2009, I filled in the antenna holes in the Street Glide rear fender fascia. I use in-fairing antennae for the AM/FM/WB and CB; so no antenna at the rear of the bike.

Carl

Last edited by Harleypingman; 01-03-2010 at 04:58 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Quick Review with pictures: Milwaukee Bagger Two-Up Detachable Tour Pak Rack