Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starter noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 09:56 AM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default starter noise

I've got my 08 street glide in at the HD shop for the second time for starter noise. The first time they tightened the starter bolts, but still had the noise.

This time they say they want to put a SE compensator on it. I'll have to pay $75. for the difference in cost between a stock one and a SE. From what I read here, it seems like it's worth the investment so I'll let them do it.

I really have doubts about it curing the problem though. It sounded like a typical Harley when it started for the first year and a half, but slowly started to crash and clang after that. Sometimes it turns over good and doesn't make any noise, but some times there is a grinding of metal on a regular cadence of probably less than 2 seconds.

It's embarressing to have people turn and stare because the bike is making all that grinding/clashing noise.

Any way my question is, does anyone know what the problem is or have an opinion about if the compensator will take care of it?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by rkoivisto; 01-10-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:05 AM
nedster
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

There was another thread that discussed this very issue. In 07 there was a TSB about starter issues. I had an 08 RG and experienced the noise of clanking and grinding, installed a new starter and never had another issue.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:45 AM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by rkoivisto
I've got my 08 street glide in at the HD shop for the second time for starter noise. The first time they tightened the starter bolts, but still had the noise.

This time they say they want to put a SE compensator on it. I'll have to pay $75. for the difference in cost between a stock one and a SE. From what I read here, it seems like it's worth the investment so I'll let them do it.

I really have doubts about it curing the problem though. It sounded like a typical Harley when it started for the first year and a half, but slowly started to crash and clang after that. Sometimes it turns over good and doesn't make any noise, but some times there is a grinding of metal on a regular cadence of probably less than 2 seconds.

It's embarressing to have people turn and stare because the bike is making all that grinding/clashing noise.

Any way my question is, does anyone know what the problem is or have an opinion about if the compensator will take care of it?
Thanks in advance.
There were some issuse with starter pinion gears 07/08. dont need a whole new starter just the pinion gear, and the ring if it was damaged by the pinion.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:54 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,945 Likes on 1,705 Posts

HD issued a bulletin with individual parts available to replace to repair the starter as opposed to replacing the whole thing under warranty.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:28 PM
tenn.vol.
Supporter
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I would let them replace the comp and pay the $75. THEN get the info from
DAWG and take it back to them. I took my 08 to the stealer and complained
about the LOUD BANG when it sarted, got the same-Oh "they all do that"
I now have a new se-comp in the garage that will be going in after FL. in
March. ALL ON MY DIME!!! Tenn.Vol.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:00 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a service bulletin on the starter issue and they replaced mine under warranty. I also replaced the compensator with a SE compensator and it now starts and sounds like it should. No more sound like the motor wants to disenegrate when it starts.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:31 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,324 Likes on 3,269 Posts

Mine is is the shop right now for this...I asked the Service Mgr. and he said the the Moco said the compensator issues or clutch baskets issues that just caused a bit of noise was not covered under warranty unless it failed. So many of them made the noise so MOCO said not covered unless a failure. I just want to have it fixed so i can ride...I want the noise and the grind to be gone and then i will play it by ear....

Old 01-11-2010, 08:40 AM
weezo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had mine repaired under warranty for a similar problem.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:04 AM
cdale976
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on my 3rd starter on a 07 Road king. this one is completely different than the first two. hopefully it is done. the dealer said this will cure the issue. so far so good. all was done free of charges.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:29 AM
stevepacman
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

My starter's clutch assembly was replaced under warranty for the same grinding noise.

Quick Reply: starter noise