Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!! Softtail Rear wheel removal/installation!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 08:54 AM
ckamin
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Help!! Softtail Rear wheel removal/installation!!

In an effort to work on my own bike and save some $$$ at the same time, I want to r&r my rear wheel since it needs a tire. Couple questions.....

1) I have a '06 Springer Classic... will your typical Craftsman-style jack raise the bike high enough to remove the rear wheel from the full rear fender?

2) Any suggestions for replacing the tire and making sure that the belt is properly adjusted and that the rear whell is aligned? Does one mark the adjusting bolts on the swingarm prior to removing the wheel prior to removal so that they can be re-adjusted to their previous position?

Before going on a few trips in the spring, I want to replace my rear tire. I have about 8000+ miles on the bike, so this will be my first rear wheel r&r on a Softtail.

Thanks!

Carl

Old 01-21-2009, 09:12 AM
chillman9
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would suggest you start with a repair manual for your bike...easy to follow instructions on removal and reassembly with all the proper adjustments.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:15 AM
ckamin
Tourer

Yeah, I have the service manual and have read it, but I was looking for the "real world" advice that service manuals usually lack. The H-D book is pretty good, but it is still a corporate publication.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:29 AM
chillman9
Advanced

Originally Posted by ckamin
In an effort to work on my own bike and save some $$$ at the same time, I want to r&r my rear wheel since it needs a tire. Couple questions.....

1) I have a '06 Springer Classic... will your typical Craftsman-style jack raise the bike high enough to remove the rear wheel from the full rear fender?

2) Any suggestions for replacing the tire and making sure that the belt is properly adjusted and that the rear whell is aligned? Does one mark the adjusting bolts on the swingarm prior to removing the wheel prior to removal so that they can be re-adjusted to their previous position?

Before going on a few trips in the spring, I want to replace my rear tire. I have about 8000+ miles on the bike, so this will be my first rear wheel r&r on a Softtail.

Thanks!

Carl
*raise the bike on the jack to see if the fender is high enough to clear the tire hieght...i'm not sure with this style jack

*I have heard of guys just marking the adjusting bolts and counting the turns out and then just adjusting them back the same amount....be sure you take note of where your spacers are and would be a good idea to repack the bearings while you have the wheel off.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:31 AM
softail04
Road Master

the way I have been doing it for years is
remove lower belt guard (left mine off) remove axel, put it back in from left side so you don't have to remove exhaust next time.. leave the belt adjustment alone and drop the rear wheel straight down (never have to touch belt adjustment. worst part is getting the calipher back on .. I have a std but they are all much the same

Old 01-21-2009, 09:38 AM
chillman9
Advanced
Old 01-21-2009, 12:37 PM
ckamin
Tourer

Thanks for the advice! The link to the other thread proved helpful, too.

-Carl

Old 01-21-2009, 01:22 PM
rcc
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Softail04 has it right, don't touch the adjustment screws. You can get the belt off and on without messing with them. I use the yellow Sears jack on my Heritage. I also use a floor jack and support the tire and lower it on the floor jack. Put the axle in backwards like he said.

Ron

Old 01-28-2010, 10:09 PM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

some great advice there i will find useful too