Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster cough!!

Old 02-07-2010, 08:30 AM
abram60
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Sportster cough!!

I'm a newbe to Harley's, and I just bought an 05 XL. It coughs at take off. It does this even after I've been riding for a while. When I run with the choke out a little bit, it'll stop coughing. It also seems to run better this way. Could it be that the choke needs adjusting? Oh yea, by the way I've also been told that by running with the choke out it will foul my plugs. Is that true or is it a myth? Should I just take it to the dealer to check her out for me? Any input on this matter would be greatly appreciated...

Old 02-07-2010, 09:28 AM
WRAITH
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Riding with your choke on will foul the plugs. If the bike sat very long before you got it, the carb may need cleaning. Has the air cleaner or exhaust been modified (stage 1)? If it has it may need to be re-jetted.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:42 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

run a bottle of carb cleaner thru it first, and see if that helps

Old 02-07-2010, 09:47 AM
texas_speed_freak
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by abram60
I'm a newbe to Harley's, and I just bought an 05 XL. It coughs at take off. It does this even after I've been riding for a while. When I run with the choke out a little bit, it'll stop coughing. It also seems to run better this way. Could it be that the choke needs adjusting? Oh yea, by the way I've also been told that by running with the choke out it will foul my plugs. Is that true or is it a myth? Should I just take it to the dealer to check her out for me? Any input on this matter would be greatly appreciated...
Sounds like you might have an intake leak. You can take some carb cleaner and while the bike is running spray it in from the aircleaner side making sure not to get any into the aircleaner and spray on the intake where it goes into the heads. If the idle changes at all then youve found your problem and need new intake seals.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:07 PM
abram60
Stage II

Thanks for your responce..As far as I know it hasn't been modified.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:27 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It's running lean that's what causes bikes to cough back through the carb, that also explains why it runs better with the enrichener out a little. All stock Harleys do it to some extent.
The real fix is to get the plug off the idle mixture screw so the carb can be adjusted or you may also need one step larger idle jet.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:07 PM
moreira72
Advanced

The way to correct the carb cough or as some people call them carb farts, is to rejet the slow jet. The stock slow jet is a #42. You can try a #45 and if the bike has pipes and upgraded air cleaner, than go with a #48. I run a 48 in my 01 1200C. it has SE II slip ons with big city thunder baffles, 180 main jet, 48 slow jet and a hypercharger. No carb farts at all. Good luck

Old 02-08-2010, 09:05 AM
texas_speed_freak
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jag1886
It's running lean that's what causes bikes to cough back through the carb, that also explains why it runs better with the enrichener out a little. All stock Harleys do it to some extent.
The real fix is to get the plug off the idle mixture screw so the carb can be adjusted or you may also need one step larger idle jet.
He said his bike was all stock so it shouldnt be doing that. Its always a good practice to check the intake seals even if it did have pipes and aircleaner on it as its runs slightly lean stock anyway for emissions purposes and will cause the intake seals to get hot and go bad.

Originally Posted by moriena72
The way to correct the carb cough or as some people call them carb farts, is to rejet the slow jet. The stock slow jet is a #42. You can try a #45 and if the bike has pipes and upgraded air cleaner, than go with a #48. I run a 48 in my 01 1200C. it has SE II slip ons with big city thunder baffles, 180 main jet, 48 slow jet and a hypercharger. No carb farts at all. Good luck
+1 This is correct on the jetting. Although as i stated above check for intake leaks before rejetting.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:58 PM
birdmove
Cruiser

My 2006 does that a bit. I'm running some Sea Foam through my tank of gas thinking maybe the pilot jet is a little dirty.Mine used to do it a little only when cold and just off idle. It's got a bit worse I noticed just recently.

The dealership I work at, the techs often go to a 180 main jet, 45 slow jet, and go to a "California" needle. I'd rather leave me jets alone, so I'm going to try the Sea Foam. My bike starts well, and runs fine otherwise, and I got it used with 3000 miles, but I think it's all stock.

jon

Old 02-08-2010, 03:03 PM
Shovelhead Jack
Banned

A Dynojet or Thunderslide jetting kit helps a lot with the cough. The stock needle is not adjustable so the kits generally come with an adjustable needle as well as other jets to get it tuned right. Pulling the idle screw plug so you can adjust the idle mixture is a free way of getting some adjustment if you do nothing else.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sportster cough!!