Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anybody running 103 with 255 cams? 103" issues!

Old 03-07-2010, 07:02 AM
jkgraham
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anybody running 103 with 255 cams? 103" issues!

just wondering if anybody here is running a stage 2 kit with the 255 cams and how they like it. i was going to do the stage three but the dealer quoted me at 3700 to do it.... seems a lil high to me. so right now im looking at doing the stage 2 kit but keep hearing of the cam not having a very long torque or power range. seems to drop off really fast i guess. im not sure what rpm i usually shift at but i do enjoy the occasional stoplight to stoplight run. just dont wanna install it and have only a lil bit gained. they also said that they cant drill my stock heads to install the compression releases for me. (they dont have the jig to do it) sorry for being so long. i really want to stick with the screaming eagle parts... any suggestions or help is appreciated. thanks.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:35 AM
hogcity5
Cruiser

First off you won't need comp releases unless you plan on going 10:1 on compression. The standard 103 kit with cams and head decked is actually only about 9.6:1 so you are safe there. If you have any mechanical ability yourself you can do this upgrade to your motor with the help from a service manual... and save yourself a lot of coin. I did my 103 with 255's and flowed and ported heads for about 1200 start to finish. Im happy with the performance and my numbers were good. Whatever you choose the feel over stock will be amazing.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:57 AM
chad peterson
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

255's are a real particular set of cams...not for alot of folks but good for some! Bottom line is if ya like to run your r's out it's not for you!

Old 03-07-2010, 11:20 AM
iachia
Intermediate

The 255 are very good for torque in the 1.8k/4k range wich I think is the rpm range that is most used in everyday riding.
I'm very happy with them.
For sure not the best cam for brute power.
So far what I've seen is that bad comments on the 255 comes from people who didn't even try them...
103 stage II compression should be 10:1 on paper and about 9.7:1 in real life.
My engine starts ok without compression release but you can defenetly feel the starter is working harder... If I had to do it again I'd install comp. rel. just for the peace of mind.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:30 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well I don't have a Dyna, but I have the same motor so I will chime in. I have the same kit with the 255 cams. I have no issues, but I also cant compare to other cams because these are the only one's I have had. I got them basically because they came with the kit. I also do not have the compression release and was told it wasn't needed for my set up. Right now no problems, but only time will tell. Good luck with your build

Old 03-07-2010, 12:10 PM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

My ownself, went with the manual compression releases and the heavy duty starter. No issues. Had the 260 cam, with CNC heads, hi-flow injectors and 50mm throttle bodies. Did not like the 260 cam torque curve (late hit) and went with Woods 408-6 Cams for an earlier and way longer hit.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:31 PM
gregbenner
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the stage 2 w/ 255s on both my bikes, a dyna and a road glide. The ACRs are an absolute must!! Not all bike seem to need them but if you do..its a complte redo to add them. Get whoever does the work to completely guaranty you don't need them AND that they will add them free later if needed.

I like the 255s, great low-mid range, and i rarely try to rev it high. However, for a couple thousand more you can really get more power...compression, cams, headwork, exhaust, software, dyno time, etc.

Really depends on what you want, and your budget of course.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:37 PM
fjm3rd
Tourer

I have had no problems so far with my 103 kit. I don't ha CR installed either and the bike starts fine. I asked about them dealer said they didn't put them in that kit and never had anyone come back with starting problems. Overall so far so good.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:21 PM
gregbenner
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fjm3rd
I have had no problems so far with my 103 kit. I don't ha CR installed either and the bike starts fine. I asked about them dealer said they didn't put them in that kit and never had anyone come back with starting problems. Overall so far so good.
HD had a recall for the police bikes with the 103s, to add ACRs. I totally agree that not everyone has a problem. However, if you do, you are going to be really pissed you didn't spend the $200 or so to get then installed when the motor was apart. I have a very good friend who was unaware of the issue. Cost him a $1000 later to get them installed. Bummer. He called HD...they said they had "notified" the dealers of the issue. Go figure.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:57 AM
domenicp7
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have gone thru one starter you need the ACR.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: anybody running 103 with 255 cams? 103" issues!