Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide dies at idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 11:04 AM
mduggan
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Glide dies at idle

I haven't posted in quite a while, but I have a problem that I can't seem to resolve and my warranty expires in 12 days so here goes.

My 2008 Road Glide sometimes dies at red lights or stop signs. There are no secondary indications. It doesn't throw any codes. It doesn't sputter. Lights may go out momentarily, but come right back on. It starts right back up and runs like nothing's wrong. I did a search for this problem, but it sounds like everyone else with a bike dying for no reason had some other sort of associated problem. I have physically checked every wire that I can get to. I've found no shorts, no opens, no bare spots, no burns. When I rode back from Daytona Sunday, I made several stops with no problems, then when I pulled up to my garage....it died. I started it...died again. Started again...died again. The last time I tried, it ran as it should and hasn't died since. I'm at a loss. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2008 Road Glide
103 inch kit
Breather
Slipons
Power commander
Dyno Tuned
26,000 Miles (I ride it)

Old 03-09-2010, 11:22 AM
bigredwing
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had this problem on a car and it turned out to be a dirty throttle body. If I understand correctly particles of combustion can be deposited in the throttle body throat and foul the idle speed motor (or sensor), which then causes the motor to die when the RPM's drop when at idle or slowing down to make a turn. On a car I have used foreceps to hold a clean rag drenched with fuel injector cleaner to swab out the TB. There may be other ways to do this and I have also squirted Seafoam into the TB or used it in my gas to keep the intake clean. BUT, I this has only been on a car and truck, not a bike. Best of luck and I hope this helps.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:59 AM
BCguy
Road Captain

Probably a good idea to get it in to the dealer with your problem/complaint BEFORE your warranty expires. After that, you're on your own.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:39 PM
slime_dog
Tourer

Is the idle extra low? Could be the idle solenoid. Get it to the dealer and get it replaced before you have to pay for it no matter what it is.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:08 PM
mduggan
Cruiser

I've had it to the dealer and of course they couldn't duplicate the problem. I'm planning to take it in again this week, just to establish a trend if nothing else. Thanks for the replies. I'm willing to try just about anything.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:36 PM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Tagging for future reffrence.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:14 AM
m3breecer
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you ever figure out what the problem was? My buddys 08 is doing the exact same thing any help would be appricated.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:38 AM
xtremechopper
Cruiser

HAve you tried cleaning the IAC motor yet? Does it only happen after it has been warmed up and ridden for a while? HAve you checked your intake seals?

Old 05-16-2010, 10:40 AM
jokenighttrain
Cruiser

+1 on a cure.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:07 AM
jc15025
Club Member

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

My friend had a 2006 screaming eagle ultra with the same problem, dealer changed ignition switch no fix. He thought that it was the computer but the dealer gave same old reply, cnd. So this year he traded it in on a 2010 screaming eagle, problem fixed!! JC

Quick Reply: Road Glide dies at idle