Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New York/New Jersey/Connecticut & Rhode Island Riders - Need advice

Old 03-16-2010, 06:10 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts
Default New York/New Jersey/Connecticut & Rhode Island Riders - Need advice

I have had a goal for some time now to ride ALL 50 States - I have 30 down. This May I will be riding with the rftw.org > Run for the wall - We will be riding from Ca to DC for Memorial Day..

After that I plan to head east to Cape May to spend a few days then head to Boston to visit family.

When I leave Cape May - My only goal is to head towards Boston and knock out NJ/NY/CT&RI - sight seeing will not be done on this leg.

I have looked at the mapping and there are several routes I can take and meet my goals. It all looks conjested no matter what I ride (This will be done on or about June 13).

In trying to keep it as simple as possible I see as I Leave Cape May = My plan is to ride north on the Garden State Parkway and meet 95 and simply follow 95 all the way into the Boston Area (ending in Waltham, MA)

Like I said - only goal on this leg is to cut miles and hit the needed states

Question - is this a workable plan or am I out of my mind??

any times to avoid most of the traffic or is it just going to be there at all times.

I have no problems with traffic - ridden in SF bay area and in Southern Ca - sometimes there is just no way around it... keep cool and eyes open and get through it.

Thanks for the advice...

Any "Red Knights" out there - Iam a new member

Last edited by harley0711; 03-16-2010 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:39 PM
mtbottles
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you try to draw the shortest line from NJ to CT cutting across NY, you will have to travel through some congested areas. I do not claim to be an expert on the roads but would suggest you check out New Jersey Turnpike I-95 over the George Washington Bridge and the on to CT.

If it helps any, June 13th, schools are still in session here. Best times to traverse NYC might be after 9:00 am and before 2:00 pm.

Good luck.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:45 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by mtbottles
If you try to draw the shortest line from NJ to CT cutting across NY, you will have to travel through some congested areas. I do not claim to be an expert on the roads but would suggest you check out New Jersey Turnpike I-95 over the George Washington Bridge and the on to CT.

If it helps any, June 13th, schools are still in session here. Best times to traverse NYC might be after 9:00 am and before 2:00 pm.

Good luck.
That's the route I am looking at - only reason I 'might' take the Garden state - is I am spending a day or so in Cape May and that is on the coast...

Old 03-16-2010, 06:47 PM
HD101st
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

coming through ny you pay for any interstate systems NYS thruway goes acrossed the whole state good view problem is you pay for every exit u take

Old 03-16-2010, 06:52 PM
giroman
Advanced

i would take the garden state parkway all the way into new york and take the thruway over the tapan zee bridge into conn. and avoid the gw bridge and the cross bronx exp.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:54 PM
The Old Man
Road Master

You will be fine BUT that said after leaving Cape May I would stay on the parkway over the NJ Turnpike and follow it up to rt 287 around New York City. Cross the Hudson at the Tapenzee Bridge and that pops you right into Ct. on Rt95. Then you are about 3.5 hours to Bean town. It adds about 15 miles to your trip. Also I suggest going to http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/Highw...lane/main.aspx Get your self the FastPass. Its good all over NJ, NY CT, MA, RI. Save you from stopping at the dam toll booths. Works out into Pa and indiana also. Good luck. I am heading down to York in 8 weeks to the factory tour......... Ride safe.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:05 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by The Old Man
You will be fine BUT that said after leaving Cape May I would stay on the parkway over the NJ Turnpike and follow it up to rt 287 around New York City. Cross the Hudson at the Tapenzee Bridge and that pops you right into Ct. on Rt95. Then you are about 3.5 hours to Bean town. It adds about 15 miles to your trip. Also I suggest going to http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/Highw...lane/main.aspx Get your self the FastPass. Its good all over NJ, NY CT, MA, RI. Save you from stopping at the dam toll booths. Works out into Pa and indiana also. Good luck. I am heading down to York in 8 weeks to the factory tour......... Ride safe.
I will check into the Fast pass - sounds like a good idea --

You are the second person to suggest the other bridge and 87/287 = looked it up on mapquest and did the two routes - good guess on the extra 15 miles = mapquest says 17 miles..

am I correct in assuming - taking 95 at the Washington Bridge will get me MORE traffic therefor making the extra 15 miles a faster ride??

Old 03-16-2010, 07:17 PM
ucommbxny
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can take the Garden State Pkwy into NY, get on 87 North towards Albany, then take 84 east to Ct. where you can get on 95. unless you have ez pass you will have to use the side toll booths on the Garden State Parkway to pay tolls, if you run the express ez pass lanes they will send you violations which add up real quick at $25.oo or maybe more now a pop plus the toll. enjoy your trip

Old 03-16-2010, 07:23 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member

I am reading about the fast pass system... since I am going to be riding in several of the states that use this and when Iam done. I can had it in on the last toll road - any extra $$ will go back on my c/c - this seems like the way to do the tolls... have to pay them anyway - why not do it the easy way.. thanks for the advice..

Old 03-16-2010, 07:56 PM
Hagar the Horrible
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rt 95 in CT will stop for no apparent reason. If you tire of highway you can run some nice two lane country backroads (Rt 169) in CT and it will take you into MA then through RI and back onto 95 towards Boston

get off 95 in CT onto Rt 169 to 44 to 193 to MA to 16 to 146 and 295 to 95 back up toward Boston

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New York/New Jersey/Connecticut & Rhode Island Riders - Need advice