Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

883 Air Filter Question

Old 03-24-2010, 10:20 PM
lilbruce
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 883 Air Filter Question

Does anyone else have the probs with an oil splash coming from the air filter... It splashes down my pipes and oil pan... It also does this on my dads fatboy... Is there anything I can do to fix this? We wipe the filter off and it stops for a little while but when you gas down on the bike it throws so splashes of oil out.

Thanks,
Bruce

Old 03-24-2010, 11:16 PM
XLCR4GM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

There are vents to help relieve pressure buildup in the crankcase and these vents are located inside of the air cleaner filter so that the incoming air can help pull this oil film back into the motor to be re-burned. What happens is that after a while the oil film builds up and then it leaks down over the pipes and the side of the engine. There are aftermarket items that you can buy that will help with this problem. One is just a type of fancy looking container that collects all of the oil and after a while you have to empty it out. Some people run an oil hose from the vents down to a filter that hangs below the bike and just let the oil film blow out into the air defeating the purpose of the whole set up. I ride with a guy who has a 2003 XL883 and I have a 1999 XL883. He always has that problem and I never have that problem. He rides slower than my grandma and I rev high and generally ride the dog crap out of my bike. To each his own! You can look into a J&P Cycle catalogue or on line and find some items. Good luck with your oil issue and ride safe out there.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:21 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Take a little bit of oil out of the tank. Run it at halfway up the dipstick as opposed to the very top.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:26 AM
lilbruce
Road Master

Originally Posted by XLCR4GM
There are vents to help relieve pressure buildup in the crankcase and these vents are located inside of the air cleaner filter so that the incoming air can help pull this oil film back into the motor to be re-burned. What happens is that after a while the oil film builds up and then it leaks down over the pipes and the side of the engine. There are aftermarket items that you can buy that will help with this problem. One is just a type of fancy looking container that collects all of the oil and after a while you have to empty it out. Some people run an oil hose from the vents down to a filter that hangs below the bike and just let the oil film blow out into the air defeating the purpose of the whole set up. I ride with a guy who has a 2003 XL883 and I have a 1999 XL883. He always has that problem and I never have that problem. He rides slower than my grandma and I rev high and generally ride the dog crap out of my bike. To each his own! You can look into a J&P Cycle catalogue or on line and find some items. Good luck with your oil issue and ride safe out there.
Wow you kow alot about that, you must have had to learn out how and why it did that, haha, thank you very much! I was just making sure that I hadnt messed anything up.

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
Take a little bit of oil out of the tank. Run it at halfway up the dipstick as opposed to the very top.
That might be another prob I might have to much oil in the tank... I will have to check that out and see if that could be another prob!

Old 03-25-2010, 01:03 PM
MechsHands
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lilbruce
Wow you kow alot about that, you must have had to learn out how and why it did that, haha, thank you very much! I was just making sure that I hadnt messed anything up.

That might be another prob I might have to much oil in the tank... I will have to check that out and see if that could be another prob!
No actually he probably used the search feature here as it has been discussed extensively.

Each bike is a bit different. Some like to run at the bottom of the dipstick others near the middle. Learn your bike and let it stabilize there.

I did an aircleaner mod recently and stopped it venting into my airbox the less oil going into the carb/combustion chamber the better.

MH

Old 03-25-2010, 02:37 PM
trailey97
Tourer

Ended up gettin the screamin eagle heavy breather. Took care of the problem completely. Before all that the stealer kept sayin it was my umbrella valves (warranty) but after 3 times in the shop and askin anyone and everyone finally i bit my tongue and slapped the plastic money down for the breather kit. Now i can ride 90mph for however long and i get no oil splash also known as blow by.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:22 PM
Krakanator
Tourer

Originally Posted by MechsHands
No actually he probably used the search feature here as it has been discussed extensively.

Each bike is a bit different. Some like to run at the bottom of the dipstick others near the middle. Learn your bike and let it stabilize there.

I did an aircleaner mod recently and stopped it venting into my airbox the less oil going into the carb/combustion chamber the better.

MH
Give him a little more credit than that, I highly doubt he had to do a search for oil blowby to describe it to the OP.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:46 PM
lilbruce
Road Master

Originally Posted by trailey97
Ended up gettin the screamin eagle heavy breather. Took care of the problem completely. Before all that the stealer kept sayin it was my umbrella valves (warranty) but after 3 times in the shop and askin anyone and everyone finally i bit my tongue and slapped the plastic money down for the breather kit. Now i can ride 90mph for however long and i get no oil splash also known as blow by.
You know I thought about getting one but I dont know how it would look on my bike... I know that would fix it right up.

Originally Posted by Krakanator
Give him a little more credit than that, I highly doubt he had to do a search for oil blowby to describe it to the OP.
Agreed, sounds like he had the same prob

Thanks for the help guys!

Old 03-25-2010, 10:15 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN

Ditto that...common problem with Sportsters and others. Beats paying for a breather kit.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:40 PM
XLCR4GM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Krakanator and lilbruce, with 11 motorcycles and 5 of them being Sportsters (6 if you count my 2006 XB12R Buell with a Sportster engine) I have had plenty of hands on experience dealing with issues related to re-jetting carburetors and re-mapping for the fuel injectors, changing exhaust pipes and air cleaners and ignition modules and spark plugs running too rich or too lean. The school of hard knocks is a good teacher and the lessons learned tend to stay with you longer. My friends feel comfortable enough with me to bring their motorcycles over for me to check out and troubleshoot when they are having problems. Good luck with your Sportster and ride safe out there!

I pity the fool ...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 883 Air Filter Question