Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at buying a 2000 Wide Glide... Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 11:23 AM
Spinner18
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at buying a 2000 Wide Glide... Opinions

Looking at buying a 2000 Dyna Wide Glide. 6200 miles, one owner. Said to have Factory stage 3 kit. What does this entail? Also, its fuel injected.

Are there any issues/problems with this year bike? Seems to be not used much, ridden a few times a year, and said the bike is spotless. Price is asking $9500 on it. Looking for some input

Old 03-25-2010, 11:39 AM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Spinner18
Looking at buying a 2000 Dyna Wide Glide. 6200 miles, one owner. Said to have Factory stage 3 kit. What does this entail? Also, its fuel injected.

Are there any issues/problems with this year bike? Seems to be not used much, ridden a few times a year, and said the bike is spotless. Price is asking $9500 on it. Looking for some input
Find out his definition of stage 3. If it is stroked and the bigger pistons and cams and only has 6200 on it then I would say do it if it looks like it has been well maintained. I would be more inclined to buy it if it was totally stock because then I would feel much more confident that it hadn't been dogged. Usually stage three is for those who like to twist it hard. There is a fxdwg3 from the factory I think, but that wouldn't be a stage3 upgrade, just a factory designation for more goodies. find out the whole story if you can but if it is really clean I would think 9500 wouldn't be too bad. I have an 02 and wouldn't sell mine for that and it has 96k on it but is way clean and in excellent mechanical condition to boot, and, I love it.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:43 AM
Spinner18
Cruiser

He said it entailed heads, different pistons etc, but it wasn't bored out. Told me it has alot of snap, and runs with the 96 and bigger engines, until 90 then they pass him. Not going to lie, I like to twist it hard on what I ride. The guy said it was absolutely mint, could put it back on the showroom. Has 3 harleys, 4 snowmobiles, seems to have money for the goodies.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:46 AM
red devil
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you think about it, someone spent the money on upgrading the motor and then only averaged 620 miles a year? That would make me wonder how it actually rode and if reliability comes into play. With not knowing when the motor was done, I would be a little cautious, and $9500 in my opinion is way too much.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:57 AM
Spinner18
Cruiser

Whats a fair price on it? The guy owns 3 bikes, he has a roadking, and his wife rides with him. He told me the only time this has gotten ridden, is maybe once a year by him, and if he has buddies that go for a ride with him. Seems like he has money and many toys.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:06 PM
Wonkaboy
Banned

I would buy a 2006 Wide Glide and up because of all the upgrades , there is plenty out there do your research and compare , don't rush it

Descended from the original factory customs, the Dyna™ series lives at the crossroads of style and performance. Born of an undying urge to chase far-flung horizons. This year, the family gets a wheel-to-wheel redesign. One look and you see the machine is substantial in every detail. From the mass of the 49 mm raked forks to the muscular 160mm rubber in back. On top of the new tough look, you’ll notice performance upgrades, too. Beginning with a whole new gearbox. The all-new 6-speed Cruise Drive™ transmission is ready to kick its legs out on the open road. The clutch takes less effort to pull, making all six gears even more satisfying. A new frame, new 1" front and rear axles, and a wide swingarm make handling tighter than ever. Also for 2006, you’ll find all Dyna 1450cc Big Twins equipped with consistently smooth-operating Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI) standard for the first time ever. You might find it hard to believe, but we did all this without compromising affordability. No one but Harley-Davidson® could ever take the factory custom to a place this good.
One look at the Wide Glide® and any thought of a domesticated life flies off like dust in the wind. It’s a stunning redesign in the spirit of the early choppers. You’ll find the profile is longer than ever. From the added rake of the 49mm fork, back to the striking new shape of the bobtail fender. Internal wiring in the new 1.25"-thick factory ape hangers makes for an even cleaner look. The new flame tank graphic is in keeping with true Wide Glide style. Chrome Profile Laced wheels. 160mm rear tire. Vibration-isolated Twin Cam 88® running through the new 6-speed Cruise Drive™ transmission. Distant lands beckon. Settle in, stretch out to the forward controls, and answer the call.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harle...ht_3581wt_1086

Last edited by Wonkaboy; 03-25-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:29 PM
Smitty79
Road Master

Yeah man, that's kinda pricey. I saw a 02 WG on craigslist for 8k with 9800 miles on it. With drag pipes, apes and a K&N filter on it. I think you can get a better deal if you look around.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:28 PM
Spinner18
Cruiser

emailed him and said book was alot lower than his bike... he said $8000 firm, its that nice.... All the work was done when brand new at Twin City's Harley South. I am a college student, and only have to spend what I have saved. Been looking for a few months, in my area prices don't seem to be that low. Northern Minnesota. Does that price of $8000 sound a little more reasonable? Just dropped $1500 upon showing some book prices, and being interested. I bet I can take it home for $7700 cash... That seems like a steal

Last edited by Spinner18; 03-25-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:42 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

No matter how you look at it - it's 10 years old.

My ol'man has a 99' WG (carbed) with 50K plus on the odometer and I doubt he'd let it go for 8 grand.

You could probably find an 06' street bob for that price, but is that what you want?
If you want the WG - I say go for it...

Old 03-25-2010, 02:45 PM
freeriderdave
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I needed (thats what i told the wife, said it was a club thing) to get a Harley last year and took a chance on a 1999 Twin Cam Dyna Wide Glide with 36,000 miles on it! not let me down yet and plenty of extras and mods still available for it. Just wish it had 2000 + brakes on it ..

Quick Reply: Looking at buying a 2000 Wide Glide... Opinions