Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 05:34 PM
Figstr
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Starter Replacement

My softail custom is hard to start, especially when warm. This problem didn't start until Harley replaced my ECM, which was fried because of a Fuel Pak I moved around to get a Mustang Seat to Fit. Since then I've had no fuel management system. I ordered a Power
commander from Fuel Moto and should have it in a couple days. However, I'm looking at worse case scenareo here.

The Softail manual calls for a special tool, part number 44455 to remove the oil lines from the oil tank. My local dealer doesn't have a listing for it. How do I remove the lines from the oil tank if I need to replace my starter?

Almost forgot: who has the best prices on starters for the 07 FXSTC and should I go with a stock or aftermarket starter. Funds are a big issue.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:43 PM
jaqmes
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

having the ecm replaced I'd have the stealer recheck your settings first.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:18 PM
Figstr
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jaqmes
having the ecm replaced I'd have the stealer recheck your settings first.
Unfortunately I can't trust them. When the finished the job they called me to inform me about the starter problem. They said it would be this or that and worse-case would be 1K to fix. I told them to leave it alone. I've been meaning to take to my Indy but haven't had the chance. In fact, the other night, while at a new biker bar a few minutes from home and right down the road from my Indy's shop, my Indy walked in. We talked about it and he said the software in the ECM could be off or it could be the starter. Unfortunately he has no way of checking the ECM. I'll be bring in to him next week just to see what he has to say.

There are only 2 dealerships in my area and both are owned by the same guy. The next dealership is 4 hours North of me.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:43 PM
Sean444
Novice

Just wondering if you have checked the battery cables? Similar thing happened to me and found the battery ground at the motor was loose. Just a thought.

Sean

Old 03-28-2010, 06:43 PM
RHillbilly
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

How could the ecm make starter seem bad doesnt the starter just spin the motor,the ones I have replaced the starter on one the oil lines pulled off with clamp on then i cut those clamps off and just replaced with regular hose clamps

Old 03-28-2010, 08:11 PM
Figstr
Road Captain

Originally Posted by RHillbilly
How could the ecm make starter seem bad doesnt the starter just spin the motor,the ones I have replaced the starter on one the oil lines pulled off with clamp on then i cut those clamps off and just replaced with regular hose clamps
The starter engages but the motor won't start on the first turn sometimes. It sounds like either the starer is grinding. It usually starts after the 2nd or 3rd try. According to my Indy, if the ECM software is off, the engine will have a hard time starting. So at this point I don't know if it's the starter going bad or if the sofware is off. It usually starts on the first try when cold. When the motor is warm/hot, it has a hard time turning over.

There are also 2 chrome oil lines that run to the top of the oil tank. They can't be cut since they are solid all the way the way down. the tank can't be moved out of the way to get to the starter, it has to be removed and can't be removed with those lines attached.

Last edited by Figstr; 03-28-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:49 AM
jaqmes
Cruiser

Originally Posted by RHillbilly

the ecm controls your timing (and fuel ratio on efi models) either one could cause the starter to drag.

Last edited by jaqmes; 03-29-2010 at 06:57 AM.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:19 AM
HD2005springer
Intermediate

Since we are in the topic of removing the starter and oil tank, How do you remove the oil lines without the tool and not damaging the fittings? Or is the tool necessary?

I will be changing my inner primary to chrome and the starter bolts need to come off. But in the process, so does the oil tank.. !!!

Old 03-29-2010, 12:11 PM
Figstr
Road Captain

My original questions have not been answered yet. How do I remove the oil lines from the upper part of the tank and should I go stock or aftermarket on a starter with money being a huge factor.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:43 PM
jaqmes
Cruiser

consider rebuilding the starter. any good starter shop should be able to handle the job at a reasonable price.
there is a tool for disconncting the lines part# hd44455.

Last edited by jaqmes; 03-29-2010 at 12:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Starter Replacement