Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring Tire Issues

Old 03-24-2010, 07:47 AM
Buddy04284
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touring Tire Issues

I was just curious as to how many people in here with a 2009 touring model that had tire issues? After looking at the HD service bulletin from Nov 2009, it states that customers with 09 touring models will receive a letter in the mail informing them to bring their bike to the dealer so they can check the front tire issue. Has anyone received the letter? I didn’t. I did receive the recall on the fuel tank however, but not the tire.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:20 AM
Kielbaso
Cruiser

Never received the letter either. But, have the bulletin printed out waiting to take mine in for warranty replacement.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:24 AM
audettd
Tourer

Was told by my dealer there was nothing wrong with my 09 EG front tire...so guess I'm not getting a replacement.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:37 AM
Buddy04284
Advanced

I wouldn't think HD had sent a letter even though in their service bulletin, it states they will. Just another gimmick to cover up a potential recall I guess. They most likely were hoping most tires would have sufficient miles on them once people complain, and they wouldnt have to cover them. Maybe I should research more on this issue to see if anyone has complained to BBB OR has started a Class Action. replacing a tire as a courtesy for owners would be the right thing to do since these bikes arent cheap.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:41 AM
springer 03
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No letter on the tire but did get a letter on the tank. Copy and paste this address to get you to the thread on this. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...fiasco-11.html

keep us informed as to what they do.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:49 AM
xd.404life
Tourer

Not sure if I recieved a letter or not but there was a very large discussion on this issue on the forum for quite awhile. Once the bullentin came out most people just took there bikes and had the tire replaced with out issue. The only caveat is that it is not a automatic replacement if you have state that it is a potential safety issue " front tire wobbels when riding", "feels like the frontend is sliding in the corners" or something to that effect, basically the tech needs something to put on the paperwork. Not a gimmick or anything if you think you need the tire checked take it in.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:21 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddy04284
I wouldn't think HD had sent a letter even though in their service bulletin, it states they will. Just another gimmick to cover up a potential recall I guess. They most likely were hoping most tires would have sufficient miles on them once people complain, and they wouldnt have to cover them. .
Folks always want to blame the manufacturer, and maybe MOCO is trying to save themselves in hard times, but my dealer told me that they have been in litigation with the tire manufacturer and it just got it settled.

I had no trouble getting my tire replaced, but I went in complaining of a loud whine and the handling starting to act funny. They said no problem, however the dealership in Edmond Oklahoma has always been very attentive to me.

I am excited to read folks are getting 15000 miles or more on the rear tire. It cost me $300 to replace mine at 6000 with a big gash across the tread from something I ran over. My 02 RKC was lucky to get 10000 miles.

Beary

Old 03-24-2010, 09:25 AM
PappyUSMC
Tourer

MOCO has a bulletin out.

Certain early 09 model touring front tires are defective and cup.

The cupping must be noticeable and the tire has to have 3/32" tread left.

You must mention instability and vibrations.

They do a full on the house replacement.

One more note.. your tire must be within a certain date range located on the tire. I dont know what it is.

They just replaced mine about 4 weeks ago.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:20 PM
harleygeezer
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just had my front D407 tire replaced two weeks ago at no charge. I had 8400 miles on the tire and the vibration over the last several months was getting more and more noticable. So when I took it in for the tank recall I talked to them about the vibration. Several techs rode the bike checking out the vibration issue before they agreed to change the tire for free.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:45 PM
Gambler1
Cruiser

I had mine replaced with 9700 miles on it no hassle.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Touring Tire Issues