Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS Mount on a Road King Windshield?

Old 11-28-2008, 09:35 AM
cromagnon
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Default GPS Mount on a Road King Windshield?

Anyone know of a custom mounting bracket for a GPS on a Road King windshield?
I want to mount it the same way that pouches and bags are attached. A quick connect cable could be wired directly through the headlight nacelle for easy removal or security.
I could fabricate it myself, but why bother if something like that is already available.
Does anyone agree that that would be a great spot to mount it?

Hope I get some responses. Time now to take the bike out, it's over 50 here. Looks like the cold snap may be finally over.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:55 AM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cold snap! Lucky you - it's 34 deg here in Michigan and it's just starting. Only 4 more months to riding season - Yeehaw!!!
About your question - try the RAM or Tech mounts - as long as there's a screw location
they should work?

Old 11-28-2008, 10:19 AM
WildBill2566
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, here is what I did.

I got one of these and mounted it dead centre of the screen just below the horozontal screen bar.

http://www.ram-mount-uk.com/ram-b-202g1.htm

The screen is curved so I sandwiched some neoprene behind a 1/4" thick alloy disc which needs to be the same diameter as a big twin timing cover. I bolted the above bracket to the alloy disc with some countersunk bolts and some domed nuts. On the facing side of the screen I used a HD timing cover with neoprene between it and the screen. As the alloy disc is larger than the mount I was then able to bolt it through the screen to the timing cover so it makes a kind of sandwich.

So from the back looking forward the sandwich consists of; mount, alloy disc, neoprene, screen, neoprene, timing cover.

it looks pretty good.

Old 11-28-2008, 12:07 PM
jchill
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wildbill, interesting idea. Any chance of posting a pic of what you built? I don't have the same GPS as you but it does give me ideas. Could possible do the same for my garmin 660 and have my buddy fabricate something as in the plates you used.

Old 11-28-2008, 12:10 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What ever you do, don't just use the suction cup on the windscreen, one good bump and the whole thing goes flying off down the road!!!

Old 11-28-2008, 12:57 PM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior

Jchill, just saw your ???? on the other thread. Check out the RAM site wildbill has, just went on there and there's a lot of options. Basically all you need to do is mount the ball to the windshield and use the rest of your unit from there. I fab'd a small bracket that I attached to a corner of the GPS with a lanyard attached that I loop around my fuel door. Sounds complicated but it isn't.
It's just in case the unit lets go I won't loose everything.
As far as power? I know on my Ultra I have an unused hot and ground lead coming off my headlight harness - maybe hardwire a power outlet to that and you're golden? It should only be hot when the ignition is on.
I'm in the process of making a console with an integrated GPS mounting system.
If you want - I can keep you posted.

Old 11-28-2008, 06:13 PM
jchill
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

scorpion07, yea, please keep me posted. Always interested in something new and new ideas. I like the idea of the lanyard too. Great idea (safety chain so to speak). I'll look for the open power/ground. If you have one I'm bound to have one buried underneath somewhere. I'll find the darn thing. Thx all for the pics and suggestions. I'll have it ready to go by the time our 'cold snap' is over. Bites in the midwest at times...

Old 03-31-2010, 09:56 AM
capjlp
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Mount

Ok here it goes some of you may have one if not some may make these and get millions of dollars of revenue for this idea.

I want a windshield bag mount for my ULTRA. OK heres the strange part... The middle compartment needs to hold a IPHONE or GPS.... The IPHONE 3G and 3GS have gps built in with the right app you have a phone and a GPS with turn by turn directions. If it would just hold the IPHONE horizontal and have it so the face plate is where you can see and touch it perhaps a clear plastic thin cover or something this would go over big. I also have a fm transmitter for my iphone that plugs in the bottom of the iphone to charge it also to transmit so that you can use on your radio system by setting to a FM channel so a slot on the right or left side would have to be there for this purpose. I would think this is very doable if someone hasn't already made one they should.

Thanks
CapJLP

Last edited by capjlp; 03-31-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:18 AM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior

I have one mounted on the right side of the winshield frame using the ram handlebar mount...I just had to drill an addional hole through the windshield frame...doesn't look bad though...I will post some pics later when I get home.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:50 AM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by capjlp
Ok here it goes some of you may have one if not some may make these and get millions of dollars of revenue for this idea.

I want a windshield bag mount for my ULTRA. OK heres the strange part... The middle compartment needs to hold a IPHONE or GPS.... The IPHONE 3G and 3GS have gps built in with the right app you have a phone and a GPS with turn by turn directions. If it would just hold the IPHONE horizontal and have it so the face plate is where you can see and touch it perhaps a clear plastic thin cover or something this would go over big.

Thanks
CapJLP

It's been done already! A guy on this forum did a nice job of it too. When you aren't using the GPS the bag lid covers the hole.
Pretty nice set-up if you like windshield bags.
I'll try to find the thread......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GPS Mount on a Road King Windshield?