Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding after spine surgery

Old 04-02-2010, 10:13 PM
stmpulr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding after spine surgery

I had extensive neck surgery in mid January. The Doc said to sell the bike and forget ridding. (I don't think so)
My wife along with many others say I am crazy but they don't ride.
My neck was fused from C3 to T1 (metal rods, plates, wires and screws) and I have lost most movement, but not all.
My question is, does anybody make a soft (preferably black) neck brace that I can use for ridding that might give some support to my neck to help absorb shock.
I found a company that makes braces for motocross racing but they are quite involved and require a full helmet and I use a 1/2 helmet. (less weight on my head and neck)
I have ridden about 50 miles since my operation but just short runs. So far so good.
Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:17 PM
SeMiGoD
Tourer

Dont know of a neck brace but id suggest an electra with riders backrest. Nice soft comfortable ride. Good luck to you sir.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:11 AM
av8or
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

WOW! Thats a lot of work on your neck. Did you have some sort of accident, or is it the product of age combined with mileage? I had C5 and C6 fused in 2005. I guess I don't have too much to complain about. I can't help you out with a brace but Good luck to you.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:49 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

find out who makes the smoothest ride and buy it and then write it as a medical expense
I had a gold wing and it was smooth and low gravity. maybe even get a three wheeler.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:15 PM
TENN C Rocker
Intermediate

Originally Posted by stmpulr
I had extensive neck surgery in mid January. The Doc said to sell the bike and forget ridding. (I don't think so)
My wife along with many others say I am crazy but they don't ride.
My neck was fused from C3 to T1 (metal rods, plates, wires and screws) and I have lost most movement, but not all.
My question is, does anybody make a soft (preferably black) neck brace that I can use for ridding that might give some support to my neck to help absorb shock.
I found a company that makes braces for motocross racing but they are quite involved and require a full helmet and I use a 1/2 helmet. (less weight on my head and neck)
I have ridden about 50 miles since my operation but just short runs. So far so good.
Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks.

Most surgeons that I deal with are dead set against motorcycles! With that said, I would get a second opinion on riding.

The biggest issue is your lack of movement. As we all know, that is huge when riding!

Old 04-03-2010, 05:46 PM
mke125125
Road Captain

take your time bro. ride back roads if possible,and take it easy. you can adjust your style to fit your need, and +1 on the second opinion. Ive yet to meet a doc. that recomended motorcycles

Old 04-03-2010, 08:09 PM
oldbiker771
Tourer

While I cannot suggest a decent brace, I can say that my chiropractor recommends riding because it loosens up the spine. So I accomodate him. Dr's orders, after all. I have serious lumbar deterioration (degenerative disk disease) and Ive found that with enough hydromorphone, anything is possible.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:08 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would check out a medical supply store........ maybe a soft cervical collar that the wife could sew a black sleeve to fit over, which can be removed for laundering......or....... I've seen fiberglass collars made for quadraplegics, which could be spray painted in black. Keep in mind, however, that those might become very hot and uncomfortable in the sun, and make any head turning side to side difficult if not impossible.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:26 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

I was paralyzed 100% from the NECK DOWNfrom an ATV wreck back about 10 years ago. I had 3 discs removed and a 4 vertebrae fusion done TWICE in my neck. (first fusion collapsed, they went back and redid it, stripped 7 of the 8 bolts, had to go bigger!).

Fusion never Fuzed! It did not take. I have severe pain, and narcotics keep me from going over the edge. Also had spinal surgery in lower back in 2007. I have had flex x-rays, when I lean back, the vertebra open up like a fan. Scary to think about, so I don't think about it much if I can help it.

I love to ride, and was riding with a cervical collar on my old ironhead.

If ya get pain meds, always keep a couple with you, and take one before you go on a long ride, whether you are hurting or not. Been there, done that, got the scars to prove it.

Don't let a doctor scare you off your passion, IF you want to ride. Let everything heal up good before f'ing up though.

Good luck, RD

Old 04-04-2010, 08:30 PM
stmpulr
Cruiser

I greatly appreciate all the positive input.
I road another 40 miles (short trips) over the last couple days and maybe I am pushing it a little to soon as I am getting pain in the back of my neck that is quite persistent. I think I need to give it a rest for a couple more weeks. If I could find a soft collar that I like, that might be the ticket.
This was the second operation on my neck also. The first was 10 years ago (5 1/2 hrs worth). Than the disc below the fusion failed and the Doc had to go in again in January (9 hrs this time on the table).
I too worry about the screws coming out (18 of them to be exact).
I softened up the rear shocks a little and I lowered the air pressure in the rear tire by 4 lbs to help soften up the ride. I am hoping every little bit helps. I wonder if Air Ride might help?
I ordered some new mirrors that have longer billet stems and slightly larger convex glass mirrors. I need to be able to see to the sides and rear better since I can't turn my head as much.

Thanks again.