Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Derby Cover

Old 04-11-2010, 01:36 PM
Route66rider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Removing Derby Cover

OK, so I thought I would do a little general "look & see" sort of thing. I have put about 1500 miles on my '05 Ultra Classic since I purchased it about a month ago.
I have checked the engine oil several times, and added a couple of ounces last time.
I checked the transmission oil - Bike was warm, level & on front stand (not jiffy stand) and was down to the "A" so I added a few ounces of Mobil-1 to bring it up to the mark.
Now as per the manual I need to remove the "Derby Cover" to check the chain case oil. There are only five (5) small screws - No problem I think. 1, 2, 3, 4, OOPS! What is with #5? It is behind the passenger floorboard & no access. Oh well (I think), just remove that pesky floorboard - NOPE! Then (I think) I must have to remove the backet - NOPE again! The Rinehart "True Dual" pipe is in front of one of the bolts. So now what?
The only other point of access will be the chain inspection cover. I do manage to remove it and I can "see" the oil, but do not have any real point of reference as the book only says the oil must not cover the "spring" and from my point of view I have no idea as to where that is in reference to the level that i can verify. Short of just draining all that oil and adding the recommended 32 ounces, anyone here have any sage advice?

Old 04-11-2010, 01:52 PM
oinker02
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep, drain the primary and add exactly one qt of lube thru the inspection plate hole.....Afterwards, watch for leaks n drips....if no leaks or drips, stop worrying about it till next 5K where you drain it and refill it again.

Seriously.....don't make it too hard, just ride that sucker

Old 04-11-2010, 01:54 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you know it was properly filled 1500 miles ago, I wouldn't worry about it unless you've got a pretty good leak. Unlike motor oil, it doesn't get gradually used up. Eventually though you're gonna have to get the derby cover off to adjust your clutch.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:03 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Scrooge
Eventually though you're gonna have to get the derby cover off to adjust your clutch.
Hopefully not before he buys the factory manual.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:21 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

I always used the inspection cover to check the chain and add fresh oil. You might need to put the kick stand on a 2X4 though. I never checked the level of the primary. just drain and add new. Like stated above you will need to pull the derby cover to adjust the clutch at some point in time. if you can't find a way to get the bolt out you will need to remove anything that's in the way.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:21 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

A little creativity here. Maybe find yourself a torx screw bit and a 1/4" wrench for the derby screw. Or in the case of socket heads cut off a short piece of an Allen wrench and use the corresponding size wrench to turn it. Sometimes just loosening the obstructing part will provide enough clearance to get the job done. Also be thinking about what will make the job easier the next time and make some modifications if necessary. Necessity is the mother if invention so start inventing.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:25 PM
oinker02
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Beemervet
Hopefully not before he buys the factory manual.
Awwww, he ain't gotta buy no factory service manual as long as he has us.....besides, we all been there and done that and share here....Right?

Right?

If he wants to hear, "buy a factory service manual", he can hear that from the dealer...er, stealer.

Last edited by oinker02; 04-11-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:34 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
A little creativity here. Maybe find yourself a torx screw bit and a 1/4" wrench for the derby screw. Or in the case of socket heads cut off a short piece of an Allen wrench and use the corresponding size wrench to turn it. Sometimes just loosening the obstructing part will provide enough clearance to get the job done. Also be thinking about what will make the job easier the next time and make some modifications if necessary. Necessity is the mother if invention so start inventing.
You are right about that. i have more then a few short pieces of allen wrenches in my tool box for certain jobs.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:25 PM
Route66rider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, I do have the '05 factory service manual manual (pn 99483-05). I was more or less just griping about how the installation of the duals left it all but impossible due to a remaining 1/2 inch of clearance for me to remove the 'derby cover'.
As to putting something together to fab up a tool, I used to own a Ford Tractor dealership and their response to similar issues was often "FALL" or Fabricate At Local Level for many special tools & repairs. As a result, we all got quite handy at making our own tools, of which I still have quite a few for some unknown reason.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:35 PM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Route66rider
Actually, I do have the '05 factory service manual manual (pn 99483-05). I was more or less just griping about how the installation of the duals left it all but impossible due to a remaining 1/2 inch of clearance for me to remove the 'derby cover'.
As to putting something together to fab up a tool, I used to own a Ford Tractor dealership and their response to similar issues was often "FALL" or Fabricate At Local Level for many special tools & repairs. As a result, we all got quite handy at making our own tools, of which I still have quite a few for some unknown reason.
I guess I'm not understanding what you are saying...I have the same model year as you and I just have to take off the passenger foot board to access the bolt you are talking about. My exhaust isn't in the way. Please explain?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing Derby Cover