Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE-204 Cam and dyno

Old 04-12-2010, 09:09 AM
fripple
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SE-204 Cam and dyno

Earlier in the week, I called and set up an appointment with Ed @ The Dyno Difference (www.thedynodifference.com) The bike has been to the local HD shop twice for tuning since I’ve installed the SE-204 and the D&D Fatcat. So, I called Ed and he was confident that he could fix the issues that I’ve been having. I could tell just by speaking with him on the phone that this guy knew his stuff real well. Ed didn’t give me the run around by trying to sell me some other product or he didn’t say “Oh that just won’t work, blah, blah blah.”

So we head out about 7 AM from AR and we arrived at Ed’s shop a little late…woops! Waiting there in the shop was PhilM (LOVE those handlebars!!!), his wife, and Ed. Almost immediately Ed gets to working on my bike. He begins by making sure things are tight, checking plugs/replacing, etc. On the first run my clutch was slipping BAD as you can see from the sheet below. After some adjustment, everything was good and Ed began doing his magic on the bike.

4 Hours later my bike was finished. Ed took it for a test ride and gave the thumbs up. Then he goes over a few things and sends me on my way. Well things changed. NOTE: This next section has NOTHING to do with my bike being dyno’d or anything that Ed did. Let’s just say I’m not that great of a mechanic……….
After we left Ed’s shop, I stopped to buy some gas. I buy gas, pull out into traffic, and then bam the bike DIES! I’m just sitting there shaking my head in Dallas traffic!! HAHAHA. Luckily it died under a bridge that had plenty of room for traffic to go by. The bike had no power or anything. So I called Ed and he was actually 45 minutes away from where I was.

Ed showed up with a trailer and we towed the bike over to V-Twin Solutions over in Allen, TX. (214-763-5748) Lloyd @ V-Twin Solutions started peeking around some and all it turned out to be was a loose connection going to the battery!!!! Could it have been any simpler????

All in all it was an awesome trip. The bike is running great. I met some great people, PhilM, Darren (he even drove from Louisiana), Ed, and Lloyd. Ed is a stand up guy and really stands behind his work. I wouldn’t hesitate to take my bike back to him. If I lived in Dallas, Ed, Lloyd, and PhilM would definitely be the people that I’d turn to for mechanical help. PhilM and Ed both called Saturday night to make sure that I made it up to McKinney ok. This morning Ed just called to make sure I made it back to AR ok. You really don’t find people like this anymore………….

91.6HP / 109TQ AND 43MPG!!!!!!!

It just shows what a good tune can give you. I don't think your auto tune module can do that now, can it

Ok enough rambling. Bike specs….
2009 FLTR
SEST
96"
D&D Boss Fatcat (Standard baffle)
HD Heavy Breather
SE-204

Last edited by fripple; 04-12-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:23 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

Good story, glad everything came out good for you. I too have been thinking about going to the SE204 cam for my 07 RKCustom, how dose it work for everyday riding ? ? ?

Old 04-12-2010, 09:35 AM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 345 Likes on 175 Posts

I have auto tune with SE 204's and yes, it probably can from my experience. The auto-tune module won't do it by itself though, you have to have some knowledge of tuning to set it. The thing about SE 204's is that there are no canned maps for later model bikes so they have to start from scratch. Much harder to do if you don't know what you are doing and i would put most HD shops in that category. I'm probably putting out about the same power/torque as the bike tested although i have a 103. Enough to bring the front wheel off the ground on a 800 pound touring bike anyway. I am using the quiet SE slip-ons and i know i lose some there but i would rather be quiet. Wonder if the guy was able to advance the timing any. I was, even with 10.1 compression.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:36 AM
mongomark
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I've got 204's in my bike and I think they're awesome. Great torque rise at a reasonably low rpm and still happy when running the higher rpms. I also had a problem with my clutch slipping. I went with a VPC clutch for a better lockup.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:45 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Wow, those are some great numbers on a stock motor with cams. Too bad I live a bit far from Texas.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:15 AM
fripple
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by OldPhat
Good story, glad everything came out good for you. I too have been thinking about going to the SE204 cam for my 07 RKCustom, how dose it work for everyday riding ? ? ?
It's a great little cam and I'm glad that I went with it. The SE-204 cam is generally one that isn't talked about much. It never seems to be the "flavor of the month" cam.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:20 AM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

91.6HP / 109TQ with just cams,pipes and filter on a 96 incher? seems like more then alot of 103 builds wonder if it is a generous dyno....if not your a lucky man, enjoy

Old 04-12-2010, 10:22 AM
ffd796
Cruiser

Funny, my bike goes in on Wednesday for the same cams and D&D Fat Cat 2 into 1.... rest of the setup is a SE heavy breather and a PC III USB .... Hope the numbers look about the same.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:26 AM
fripple
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by leohd
91.6HP / 109TQ with just cams,pipes and filter on a 96 incher? seems like more then alot of 103 builds wonder if it is a generous dyno....if not your a lucky man, enjoy
If you have questions, I'm sure Ed will be more than happy to explain his setup to you.

www.thedynodifference.com

Old 04-12-2010, 12:51 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I agree the 204 gets little love around here. I think mine is great. Still has some down low and pulls hard if you want to rev it out.

Those are some good numbers. Mine is sitting at 100ft/lbs. I think that you could get more out of it if it were tuned by someone that really knew their stuff. I had mine done by the local shop and I am not too convinced with them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SE-204 Cam and dyno