Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Voltage Regulator

Old 08-05-2006, 09:03 PM
EG Rider
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Voltage Regulator

I need a new voltage regulator on my 2006 EG. Less than a year old. Dealer having trouble getting one from the factory. They claim they are upgrading them. The bike has been down for two weeks. Which sucks. Anyone had this troouble yet.[:@]

Old 08-05-2006, 09:16 PM
Motor Squad
Cruiser
Default RE: Bad Voltage Regulator

We have been having problems with one of our bikes as well. According to HD dealership they received a bad/defective batch of regulators. They have a problem where they shut down when they reach a certain temperature. Some of the units are shutting down at about 145F degrees. I think they are supposed to continue working all the way up to about 180F degrees. HD dealership has replaced the unit about 5 times on 2006 RK. They are waiting for the "new" batch.

Old 08-05-2006, 09:37 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are the symptoms of a bad regulator? I can figure low voltage when running off the battery. Does the battery "light" and check "engine" light come on as well?

Old 08-05-2006, 09:42 PM
kpshooter
Cruiser

My buddy's '06 RK was diagnosed with a bad voltage regulator too....at 421 miles. He says the "battery" and "engine" warning lights come on and go off together occasionally. Our dealer is having trouble getting a new one too.

Old 08-05-2006, 09:51 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member

Thats wonderful, mine just started that this afternoon. I have the battery on charge right now.

Old 08-05-2006, 09:53 PM
Motor Squad
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Ram

What are the symptoms of a bad regulator? I can figure low voltage when running off the battery. Does the battery "light" and check "engine" light come on as well?

Both lights come on and the battery stops charging when the unit gets to its "defective" temperature which may be different for each unit. When the temperature drops back down it may start working again until the temperature gets too hot again.

Old 08-05-2006, 10:02 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Motor Squad

ORIGINAL: Ram

Both lights come on and the battery stops charging when the unit gets to its "defective" temperature which may be different for each unit. When the temperature drops back down it may start working again until the temperature gets too hot again.
That is exactly what mine is doing. I've had it in the garage all week with out the battery minder on the bike. The temps in the garage were 90* plus from time to time thats even with exhaust fan going into the attic. The alarm was set. So I've thought that the battery may have been kind of on the down side to start with.

I didn't drive it enough today after doing some mods to it because the lights (both) would come on and off. I tried to conserve some of the power by not holding the brake when stopped at a light and kept the radio off, as well as kept the passing lamps off. I saw that the battery voltage on my gauge was below 12. And it didn't want to go up to much.

After being on a charge a bit the battery volts were back up to 13 to 14 v. and the needle on the volt meter seemed to go up and down with the RPM's as did before with out having the lights on the dash going on!

I'm leaving the charger back on mine until it comes out of the garage again, as long as the charger shows a green light that its fully charged again.

And Thanks for the info on the regulators as well.
Gary

Old 08-05-2006, 10:46 PM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: kpshooter

My buddy's '06 RK was diagnosed with a bad voltage regulator too....at 421 miles. He says the "battery" and "engine" warning lights come on and go off together occasionally. Our dealer is having trouble getting a new one too.
When mine did this a month ago or so, it was the Stator. The Stator was only putting out juice on one side, the volt meter was reading 12 the stator was on its way out.

Bob

Old 08-06-2006, 02:00 AM
Vegas FLTRI
Tourer

I had the voltage regulator go out on my 06 roadglide at about 1500 mi. it quit on a Sat. night and I took it to the dealer on Sunday morning. had my bike back that afternoon. Yes the symptoms are that the voltmeter will drop to 12v and the charge light and the check engine light will come on. after it cools a bit it will start working again. mine would cycle about every 5 minutes.

Old 08-06-2006, 12:32 PM
EG Rider
6th Gear

Your Right on what happens. The volt meter drops to 12. The engine and battery light comes on. This happens when I am stopped at a light . The volt meter jumps back up to 14 after 3 or 4 minutes of moving. My dealer says not to ride it like this. He is having trouble getting one from the factory. It has been two weeks and I am about to go get the bike and ride it till one comes in. Would this cause any other problems along as the volts come up after cooling off? Frustrated[sm=headbang.gif]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bad Voltage Regulator