Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much does your dealer charge to change engine oil & filter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 08:09 AM
Badfinger
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry How much does your dealer charge to change engine oil & filter?

PLEASE IGNORE THIS POST MADE IN IGNORANCE !

I thought the Royal Purple was supposed to be red or purple in color and mistook it with the red Belray in the trany. My bad!

I'm taking a trip this week-end and needed a 5000 mile service. I went to my dealer on Wednesday to buy supplies and they were out of Royal Purple. A rep said they have it by the drum in service and I should have the service dept do the oil change. They couldn't get me in for the 5000 service so I thought I would at least get engine done. It took two hours but I'm not complaining because I was a walk in but they charged me $95. Still in shock when I got home I pulled the dipstick and I don't know what they put in it but it ain't Royal Purple I'll be seeing them today!

Last edited by Badfinger; 04-22-2010 at 01:46 PM. Reason: My fault not the Dealer
Old 04-22-2010, 08:12 AM
WildBillAce2
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing, I do it myself, 15 minutes and I know exactly what goes in.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:28 AM
PDDGM
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, the one and only time I have taken my Ultra back to the dealer for an oil change, it costs me over 500.00, but since I have just bought the bike and still had my discount card for parts and labor it only cost over 300.00 Seems, the rear tire was worn out and needed replaced, etc. Of course stupid me, let them do it and they did me. The bike and me have only been back to visit and look on the clearance rack. My indy charges 65.00 labor,oil and filter. But I can and do,do it myself for around 40.00. If the dealer put something on or in my bike besides what I wanted with out me knowing it, man they wouldn't like the Joe show on the sales floor.

Joe

Old 04-22-2010, 08:33 AM
t059736
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Why do you think these places are called STEALERSHIPS?

Old 04-22-2010, 08:38 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Something as simple as an oil change you can do yourself with the bike sitting on the kickstand. Dealers need to stay in business of course but they are very expensive. it's not just Harley. One recent example is when I was going to change my in cab filters in my pathfinder. It's a very simple procedure. Anyway, the nissan parts dept. wanted $45 for 2 little filters. I went online and saw them for half that. Then I said, well, let's check Advanced Auto Parts. They had the same filters (purolator) for $18. They were Identical to what was in the SUV from the factory.

Last edited by carpetride; 04-22-2010 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:02 AM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never understood why shop labor $ are the same for a simple oil change as rebuilding a motor or trans. Why can't they have different level tech's. I know the overhead cost doesn't change but the labor could. I guess a lot of guys like getting their bike washed and guess what, it's not free either. Yes I do most of my own stuff.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:06 AM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Badfinger
I'm taking a trip this week-end and needed a 5000 mile service. I went to my dealer on Wednesday to buy supplies and they were out of Royal Purple. A rep said they have it by the drum in service and I should have the service dept do the oil change. They couldn't get me in for the 5000 service so I thought I would at least get engine done. It took two hours but I'm not complaining because I was a walk in but they charged me $95. Still in shock when I got home I pulled the dipstick and I don't know what they put in it but it ain't Royal Purple I'll be seeing them today!
Did they collect with a gun and a mask ? well then again your looking at 50.00 + if you buy all the stuff at the dealer and do it yourself so they have labor involved..
I bought a 6 pack of filters off ebay and I just tried mobil 1 15w50 at like 23.00 for 5 qts and it seems fine.. I see no reason not to keep using the 15w50 and save myself some money.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:00 AM
SG Mike
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealer charged me $80.00 plus tax. I now change my own! Never again!

Old 04-22-2010, 10:03 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I do my own, but I believe they get close to $150 around here for an oil change. The good news is they don't charge extra for the scratches they leave behind.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:10 AM
krebsrob
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, My dealer (York, PA) charges $250.00 for 1000 and 5000 mile service. It's pretty ridiculous. I'm just doin my own next time.

Quick Reply: How much does your dealer charge to change engine oil & filter?